Relative compression test - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 02:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Relative compression test

Hello All,
Just wondering if i can run a relative compression test on autoenginuity? i didnt see it anywhere. I trying to hunt dow a low power issue, this is muy first diesel and tows ALOT more than my old 1500 so i have no real means of comparision other than what i think it should be capable of.

We tow a 6000lbs camper (empty, guessing 8k tops full, family of 4 in the truck with all the ussualy camping gear). The truck seems to strugle up hill (maxxes at about 60, high rpm and 25ish on boost). At that rate we would never be able to tow a decent 5th wheel someday like we are hoping to.

So far i have tested koeo (tested fine), buzz test (fine), glow plug (fine), koer (code P1703, going to look at this saturday) Power balance warm or cold looks pretty good (wish i had updated and ran it when it was super cold out, winter starts are rough). recording live test: eot/ect with 5 degrees, FICM lowest reading was 47.5v

Oil changed everey 5k or sooner runn 5-40 t6 shell, fuel filters were change last october (didnt seem to make a differance, filters are motocraft), water/fuel drained every other month (or as close as i can).

We have installed, egt, Fuel pressure (runs around 60, lowest i have ever seen was about 50), tranny temp gauges. Bypass coolant and oil. I also put in some Rev-x about 2 tanks ago (didnt seem to do anything for power)

I see no signs of lost coolant either (going to try and do a "head gasket" check on the cooling system this weekend), and im going to clean the EGR vavle.

Just looking for the next test to run and some advice.

thanks for you time

Last edited by d_fortier; 04-18-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: forgot FICM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First of all, what is your truck? Also, good idea cleaning the EGR, how many miles since its been done? I would also change the fuel filters.

Not sure about the autoenginuity, I'm getting it tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:15 AM

g's cant believe i forgot that

Sorry, cant believe i forgot the basics (was too busy trying to remeber everything else i guess).

Its a 2005 f-350, supercab sort bed. Has about 107,000 on it.

As for the EGR im not sure we bought it used, so it has not been at least 20,000 miles since i have never had it done. (is there a "recommended interval", ive seen once a year or at oil changes)

Fuel filters have about 8500 miles on them so they are close, i already have the new ones so ill toss them in (if the weather holds out this weekend). Would you recommend cleaning the housing with break cleaner? saw that somewhere else.

thanks for your time
Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-12.php

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-05-15.php

The only thing I can think of is a very small leak in your HPOP system, STC fitting, o-rings, dummy plugs.

I have AE, never heard anybody talk about how to do a relative compression test.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:35 AM

Thanks for the links.

Is there anyways to diagnose a possible leak with out tearing into the truck?

I had a little trouble starting this morning, had to cycle the key twice to get it to start (big cloudof white smoke quickly went away so im assuming it was fuel). Tried restarting it once i go to work and fired right up no issues.

On AE "egr duty cycle" is 100 would be fully open correct? And shouldnt be at 100% on idle (i thought i read that some where, to make it quieter). Mine reads 0, i logged coming to work today, would it be helpful if i post min - max readings?

I have speed, rpm, EOT, ECT, EGR duty, FICM logic, FICM main, FICM Vech, Injector control pressure.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

"The truck seems to strugle up hill (maxxes at about 60, high rpm and 25ish on boost)"

What kind of grade and whats your throttle like? 50%? 80%? I believe these engines make max hp at 3300 rpm.

What rear end gears do you have? 3.73's are a bit tall for heavy towing in hilly areas. lots of gear chasing.

I have 5.38's in my 550 and weighing 20k I can pull a good grade (300' elevation climb over 1/4 mi.) with 30-45% throttle and easily hold 65-70 if I want, 50% and I'm accelerating. I'm also hitting 29.xx psi, though mine is an 04 so my boost numbers are approximate.
Also I don't even leave Overdrive.

Though a 500' elevation climb over a 1/4mi does slow me down quite a bit and it will down shift even empty.

the 350, which has a 5.4 (dog) would go from 50-25 pulling 8k. and drop to second gear on the 500 climb.
3.73 rear end will kill you on hills.

Last edited by ddb maine; 04-19-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:13 AM

The grade wasnt bad at all (at least not for here in CT). ill see if i can find out for sure. I was pretty hard into it 80 or better, anything steeper and im pretty sure i would have been loosing speed. Kept a close eye on EGT and it got up to 1100ish, but i didnt push it past that.

Im not sure on the gearing, i assume i can get that from looking up the VIN. i'll post back with it.

I guess i should also hitch up fully loaded and get an actual wieght, i know (based on the mfg label) that the trailer is 5800 dry, but im just guess that we have another 2000 lbs (clothes, food, fire wood, family, ect). so that should be about 5000 lbs under the max, im thinking it shouldnt be working so hard.

While we are towing, i always use tow/haul mode. So it never goes into overdrive unless it is completely level highway (which im sure is why we get like 10 mpg towing).
Old 04-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I assume you would able to scan for codes and found none.

I would definately say it sounds down on power. Not that I doubted you but always best to make sure your not chasing a unicorn.

all hg failures I have seen (but there have been a lot of others I havn't) will result in white smoke under boost. The bad ones smoke while idling and will hydrolock.
If you had a bad hg, you would have lost all power pulling any grade with an 8k trailer. And it would only get worse since the tty bolts would be shot.

How long has this been going on?

slowly gettting worse? never had any balls?
overnight?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You might consider getting a UOA (used oil analysis). They aren't expensive and would tell you if you are having high metal wear, fuel in the oil, coolant etc. Unfortunately by not having a previous record you really don't have a timeline to be able to pinpoint what has changed.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

also lilpooh brought up a good point, what does your icp read under wot, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.