bullet proof oil cooler temps? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bullet proof oil cooler temps?

I installed the bullet proof diesel oil cooler and egr cooler this past weekend. my oil temps and coolant temps are both lower by about 10 degrees according to my scangaugeII. i have two questions. 1) the oil tmeps being reported by the scangauge are actually the oil leaving the transfer block to go to the cooler? 2) has anyone ever measured the oil temp coming back into the engine ( after oil cooler temp)?
one other question: has anyone noticed better cooling of both radiator and oil cooler with the install of a aftermarket front grille?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 AM

What are your ECTs? Hopefully not too low.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 AM

ECT 190 to 195
EOT 190 to 200, although the oil temps take a LONG time to get to 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
What are your ECTs? Hopefully not too low.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:57 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I don't know about the temps, to and from the oil cooler, but I do know that the radiator is VERY efficient now without the oil cooler load. The oil WAS warmed by the coolant, therefore did so, faster. Now, them being two separate systems, they will act a bit different. I'm still running the stock grill (winter use), but I'm looking at a new one (summer use), but it has much less restriction

I'm only wanted a summer grill because my OE one is trashed from rock chips, not for any more cooling affect
Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
I installed the bullet proof diesel oil cooler and egr cooler this past weekend. my oil temps and coolant temps are both lower by about 10 degrees according to my scangaugeII. i have two questions. 1) the oil tmeps being reported by the scangauge are actually the oil leaving the transfer block to go to the cooler? 2) has anyone ever measured the oil temp coming back into the engine ( after oil cooler temp)?
one other question: has anyone noticed better cooling of both radiator and oil cooler with the install of a aftermarket front grille?
Yes, Dee004 measured it and his temps at the oil block were 170*F and his temps after the cooler were around 140*F. Oh and Nick explained the reason that your coolant temps are a bit slower to come up to temp.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Are you sure that the BPD oil cooler has the EOT sensor reading at the oil out to the cooler??

That would not make sense, because oil temps would be higher than normal. The PCM monitors EOT to command the fan clutch and engine defueling if the EOT get to a certain temp.

I would imagine that BPD put the EOT sensor on the manifold for the return line coming from the cooler. Your best bet would be to contact BPD to get a final answer if the EOT sensor is before or after the cooler.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:07 AM
Slacker

Here's Don's post with his observations. If it was reading the temperature on the return line, the oil temp increased by 30*F just going through a 6' length of hydraulic hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee004 View Post
There are a couple of points to make here.
First, I didn't report the temperatures post cooler this time because I found they may have been confusing the issue. The post cooler temps were still 146 to 148 the whole trip on my pillar gauge reading that sensor. It reports the temperature of the oil leaving the cooler feeding the bypass filter not the actual engine oil temperature in the block. The engine oil temperatures from the engine oil temperature sensor in the Bulletproof billet block were 172 degrees. Also clarified by Evil Eye a few posts back
Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 PM

I just did the oil cooler and egr cooler myself. I haven't been able to take it for a long drive to test it out yet. The ect was around 198 constant and eot kept raising to almost 240. Now with driving about 10-15 miles both on streets and freeway the ect is fluxes between 190-192 and the eot took forever to get to 186 and as soon as I slowed down or stoped it dropped very quickly
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM

Well sounds like your thermo is stuck open.

I transposed the C and O in the ECT and EOT

Last edited by jesilvas; 05-16-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:59 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Well sounds like your thermo is stuck open.
Which part of that says thermo stuck open? If the thermo was stuck open the temps would be in the 180's and would never reach 190.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.