Loud pop after 03 turbo install - no boost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Loud pop after 03 turbo install - no boost

hey guys, just put in an 03 turbo, fitment was perfect i got the downpipe and ypipes all tight and everything else back on and i fired it up. turbo kicked on right when i started it, i let it idle for about ten minutes to check for any exhaust leaks. then i drove it around the block at about 25 mph, with a light throttle i got it up to 6psi and then i'd have to slow down.

next i got it on the main road and gave it about 1/2 trottle boost climed to 12 psi, and then i heard a loud popping sound as i was still accellerating (did not make the same noise as the turbo fart when letting off the gas). also right after the pop the noise from my intake got very loud (like 5 times louder than normal).

i immediately drove home very slow and parked it, shut her down and popped the hood, there was a small amount of smoke coming from the turbo and it smelled like oil.

i checked the feed and drain lines and my intercooler boots, also checked my intake for any oil, none. i did not get a code on my edge insight, so i started it and drove around the block again but this time my insight guage and my dash boost guage showed 0 and when i accellerated i had very bad turbo lag but it did not ever build pressure, there was a ton of black smoke.

i'm about to take the turbo back out and put in my old one but i bought the 03 from a member on here used, so i don't know what i'm gonna do, hopefully he will call me back soon.

what should i look for inside the turbo when i take it apart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Check your intercooler pipe connections

Did the "pop" sound like a gunshot
(Freaking scared the crap out of me when it happened to me the first time)

If it did then one of your intercooler pipe blew off... (very common)

Symtoms included: turbo lag, black smoke due to no air/boost, and no boost (0PSI)
Old 04-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If the boots and pipes look ok, check the MAP hose going from the MAP sensor to the intake.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:27 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
definitely hot side IC boot, probably flopping in the wind, it its a scary moment until you realize what happened!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:33 PM

the pop sounded like a gunshot or like a gasser backfiring. as soon as it happened i thought well that turbo was fun while it lasted haha,

i checked my IC boots at all the different connections but they looked good. tomorrow i will take them off to see if there is a tear or something.

why is the intake noise so much louder now too? even with the hood closed it's almost louder than the turbo. what is the smoke/oil smell from by the turbo?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:35 PM

could the y-pipe connection have come apart? or the downpipe? i had to adjust the turbo twice the first time i had an exhaust leak with loud hissing.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I will get back to you but trust us... I know what your talking about the gunshot sound... it is most likely not your turbo.

Most likely your intercooler pipe connections.

Go through them very closely again!

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 PM
back to business

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check the boots first. If one isn't blown off, you might still have one that has a tear in it. And then, if you have the plastic driver side CAC pipe, check that, they like to blow apart too.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 PM

If the CAC system is intact (and since it is exhaust that you smell) ..............

A common mistake on turbo installs is to re-pipe everything with the y-pipe in a "bind". As things heat up, it increases the stress on the pipe and they can blow out at the bellows.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The exact same this happened to me last weekend. The boot between the cooler and the turbo blew off. It's an easy fix, just put the boot back on and re-tighten. That is if the boot itself was just loose. If it was damaged, you'll need a new one first. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.