Smokes like a mofo. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smokes like a mofo.

Ok so I cleaned my egr valve yesterday. Now the truck has no power and puts out a lot of black smoke and no boost until higher in the rpm range. It has good power and no smoke from around 2000 rpm and up. At first I was thinking egr was bad. Now the more I think about it I'm not sure.
I'm thinking maybe turbo? I'm at an loss. I am running srl tunes. I going to put the truck back to stock for right now. You guys have any thoughts?

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Premium Member

Ok stock has no boost.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sticking vanes? If you need a turbo I've got one ill sell you cheap to get you back going

Tim
Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhead357mag View Post
Sticking vanes? If you need a turbo I've got one ill sell you cheap to get you back going

Tim
Not sure if it is the vanes. My cts has them at 85% all the time with 0 boost. If I load the tune I get boost at around 2000 rpm but stock it will not build any boost at all.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have a turbo also if needed
Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Serving Our Country!

If your CTS is indicating "85% all the time with 0 boost" that is a direct indicator of stuck open turbo vanes. Couple the direct indicator with an indirect indicator "puts out a lot of black smoke and no boost until higher in the rpm [sic] range" and there is secondary confirmation of stuck turbo vanes (in the open position). The variable geometry of the turbo in the 6.0L allows for faster turbo response at lower RPM situations - closed vanes allow the turbo to behave as a smaller-sized unit in low RPM conditions while open vanes provide for top-end performance at higher RPM situations. The black smoke is a "rich" condition indicating that less air was available (below the stoichiometric ratio) for the combustion cycle. The black smoke disappears at the higher RPMs where the turbo is producing the anticipated volume of air delivery for the demanded fuel request (i.e., where you've planted your foot on the skinny pedal).

You may need to clean the turbo.

Jonathan
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
If your CTS is indicating "85% all the time with 0 boost" that is a direct indicator of stuck open turbo vanes. Couple the direct indicator with an indirect indicator "puts out a lot of black smoke and no boost until higher in the rpm [sic] range" and there is secondary confirmation of stuck turbo vanes (in the open position). The variable geometry of the turbo in the 6.0L allows for faster turbo response at lower RPM situations - closed vanes allow the turbo to behave as a smaller-sized unit in low RPM conditions while open vanes provide for top-end performance at higher RPM situations. The black smoke is a "rich" condition indicating that less air was available (below the stoichiometric ratio) for the combustion cycle. The black smoke disappears at the higher RPMs where the turbo is producing the anticipated volume of air delivery for the demanded fuel request (i.e., where you've planted your foot on the skinny pedal).

You may need to clean the turbo.

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan,
That is what I was thinking. The only thing that get me is why there in no boost at all on stock and boost at 2000 rpm with the tune.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Another 6Slow

I wouldn't just buy a turbo... Take it apart clean the vanes and take a dye grinder to the unison ring, that will probably fix your issue
Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

anyone have an list of tools that I will need to clean the turbo? I'm going to get the 3m #03050 kit. I need to make sure I have all that I need before I start. This in my only ride and I will be SOL if I don't have everything I need before I start.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Another 6Slow

Im just gonna go off the top of my head here.. your gonna need 5/16s nut driver or flat head for intake, 7/16s for ic pipes, downpipe and ypipe, 10mm for the 3 turbo mounting bolts,the feedline on the turbo and the VGT solonoid, 8mm for the feedline into the oil cooler cover, possibly a pry bar or a hefty screwdriver to get the vband clamp on the y-pipe to break free. once you get the turbo out it's held together by a big vband clamp be careful when you pull it off the clamps are easy to break. once you get the clamp off you can pull it apart, and the vanes and unison ring will come right off. Use the 3m pads to clean the ring and the vanes real good. If you have any issues shoot me a PM and i'll get you my phone number and I can walk you through it.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.