egr delete vs smog inspection - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egr delete vs smog inspection

hi yall, im wanting to install a sinister egr delete kit on my 05' f350, i live in a county that requires a smog test every year, i have been told that if i get the egr delete i wont pass the visual inspection, wich i found odd, i have never had to pop the hood on any past smog test they just pluger in and call it good. take in mind this is a guy that works at a shop who is trying to sell me his egr delete that will saposably pass a smog test... my question is if i do have a visual inspection done how will they tell if i have a egr delete? i have herd i can keep my egr valve in place in stead of a block of cap,, what eles would give away that i am running a delete? other then the shinny pipe behind the engine i figured evreything would be hiddin enough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm curious about this too. Got a buddy who's due for an oil cooler and EGR cooler. Weighing the pros and cons of the EGR delete...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i figured if worst comes to worst i can always keep my old egr stuff and install and re install the delete to pass smog. at least ill get good at it after a few years.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have been looking at this for a while and i have heard nothing but pros only con is passing smog,
Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Serving Our Country!

There are EGR deletes that will pass a visual inspection. Any EGR cooler where the exhaust gas passages are welded shut will pass a visual inspection. A weld at the up-pipe will also elminate exhaust gas entry to the EGR cooler (leaving the stock EGR cooler intact). Both of these situations may induce an "insufficient EGR flow" (P0401) diagnostic trouble code which will invalidate a smog test conducted via the OBDII port unless the code is not set (perhaps by programming or careful timing of clearing all codes...I don't know).

If you live in a smog testing state/county and the typical method of inspection has been computer-driven, then an EGR delete is not a great idea. There are superior EGR coolers that do not have the tendency to failure even when with oil cooler restriction - the BulletProofDiesel EGR cooler is superb. The consequences of a smog-test failure could be significant - only you are capable of assessing your willingness to deal with that bureaucracy. There could be alternative testing sites that only perform a visual inspection in which case a visual-compliant EGR delete would provide a "pass" but in those locations making smog-tests now the likelihood is more rigorous testing not less.

Installation of an EGR delete technically is an emissions system modification rendering the vehicle non-compliant for on-the-road use (unless waiverable for Farm use or some other exclusion) and if sold without identification of this modification could be a liability. The same is true for deletion of the catalytic converter although a hollowed-out core will not set any codes (but a "sniff test" for NOx may also catch the deletion). Opacity checks also are used in places to determine excessive fueling conditions.

Check your local requirements for the consequences of smog-test failure to assess how comfortable you are with deletion before you commit to a course of action.

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.