Ford Gold coolant goo/oil cooler question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ford Gold coolant goo/oil cooler question?

The goop that gets caught in the oil cooler (not the casting sand or rust and scale), is it circulating around the coolant system as "goo" already or does it turn to goo as the coolant passes through the oil cooler when it comes into contact with the heat from the cooler? I am just trying to figure out at what point and how it actually turns to goo. Thanks

Last edited by DENALI; 04-14-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 04:46 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENALI View Post
The goop that gets caught in the oil cooler (not the casting sand or rust and scale), is it circulating around the coolant system as "goo" already or does it turn to goo as the coolant passes through the oil cooler when it comes into contact with the heat from the cooler? I am just trying to figure out at what point and how it actually turns to goo. Thanks
The silicate in Ford Gold eventually breaks down or falls out of suspension with excess heat. Coolant passing throught the egr cooler is subject to alot of heat and eventually over time breaks the coolant down, This is when you will see your deltas becoming an issue.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flush the gold with fresh coolant and distiller water every 50k miles. I use the gold, but have a bullet egr cooler, stock oil cooler...not a single issue in 80kmiles
Old 04-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This answer the question?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENALI View Post
Here's my theory - Whats the BEST Stuff to use - and I'm sticking with it until there is contradictory evidence.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:57 AM

Good post L&B - can't believe I had missed it.

This is the closest explanation that fits all of the evidence IMO.

It explains why MANY people who still run tunes and have fully functioning EGR systems do not have issues w/ the Gold. Nitrite depletion and heat in excess of a good running system seem to be required to get the gelling.

Last edited by bismic; 04-15-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks Mark! It really pleases me that you seem to get what I was trying to say.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Thanks for posting!! I was aware that glycol based systems can break down to the acetals - just hadn't researched the mechanism or connected it w/ nitrite depletion. I was assuming it was heat based (and Ford hints at it as well - they also hint about mixing w/ combustion gasses as an issue). As said before though - that didn't explain why some folks w/ HEAVY tunes (still running the Gold and the EGR system) don't have issues. Most of the folks I know that run that way are VERY meticulous about flushing the Gold coolant at reduced intervals (keeping the nitrite levels where they should be and thus stabilize the system). I think those same folks watch their deltas (ECT vs EOT) also. Oil coolers can frequently plug from casting sand, grit, and rust particles also. The resulting reduced flow can then initiate the reaction (at more elevated temps than normal) that you talk about in a functioning EGR system. I think that my thoughts fit yours - please don't hestitate to correct or add-on if they don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.