egr cooler leaking? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egr cooler leaking?

my daughter has an 07 f250 6,0 that is completely stock, 150,000 has always been taken to ford for repairs. every time they get work on it the truck comes back with a new problem. The truck has been slowly losing coolant with no visible leaks anywhere and does not run hot to cause the coolant lose. Recently after returning from the dealer for ipr valve replacement ,or so they say, the engine started taking forever to crank, sometimes it will not crank after driving untill it sits awhile, like overnite. Someone told her the egr cooler was leaking into the cylinders causing the long/no crank. sounds reasonable to me because of the coolant lose. what do you think? I read about an egr delete kit that did not require the intake being pulled, that yiu could cut a tab on the egr cooler to remove it, does anyone know if that is still available and what is the name of the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No start after motor is warmed up is usually a HPOP system leak.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

You can check for a leaking EGR cooler. Park the truck with the nose lower than the read (park down hill). Let truck cool down, remove EGR valve and look for coolant/wetness in the intake and on valve.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks I'llcheck the egr valve. the engine not starting is just hit or miss, only does it every couple of weeks and after it sits for several hours it will start. the first time it just shut off while driving and would not restart, after several hours started fine. Truck was taken to ford and they advised nothing was wrong with engine, till my daughter tried to start it at the dealer and would not start. then ford said the ipr sensor was bad and installed a new one. that is when the looooong crank started occurring, I told my daughter to take it back right then to have them fix what they screwed up , but she didn't. if the hpop was leaking enough to not start wouldn't it do it all the time?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

No, initially when it starts going bad it is a hot start problem because the oil is hot and thin. When it sits and cools down the oil gets thicker and doesn't leak as bad therefore builds enough pressure to start. Eventually the truck will quit running at all and trying to run it with insufficient oil pressure could damage the injectors.

An Edge Insight engine monitor would let you see exactly what is going on so you can fix it properly. Unfortunately too many dealerships don't have adequately knowledgeable technicians for the diesels. I'd start looking for a good Powerstroke performance shop if I was you.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The issues typically are not with the pump in the later model years. More likely to be a dummy plug or standpipe leak.

The 07's have the STC fitting on the HPOP (high pressure oil pump) discharge that can fail, so many times it is a replacement item when addressing the HPO system. The 07's probably have the support bracket on them so they don't fail as often, but the one-piece replacement fitting is best to install (none of the truck engines came equipped with it from the factory - some vans did though).

Even after you get the HPO issue resolved, you MUST address that coolant leak or you will have more issues (and possibly expensive ones) down the road.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my daughter is coming over wed. and I'll check for moisture in the intake/egr valve. One thing I still don't understand, I am kinda HARDHEADED sometimes, is if it was a high pres. oil leak when the engine is hot/oil thin that causes the long crank no start issue, looks to me like it would do it every time the engine was hot. The truck was taken on an 800 mi trip couple weeks ago and did fine, still long crank but started every time then and every time since untill friday it was driven from a cold first crank of the day less than 5 miles switched off for about 10 min and would not resart untill it sat for about 4 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.