Rear Window Install? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Rear Window Install?

I bought a factory rear sliding window for my 05 standard cab to replace my solid rear window. I know is the reverse of what most people do but I miss this feature as I had it on my last truck.

I dont see why I cant install this myself, but I am wondering how much do I need to remove from the interior, do I need to pull off the rear pillar plastics, the rear carpeted panel cover and the headliner?

I called a windshield place and they said they could install it for $100, but it looks pretty easy.. Any pointers??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 AM

Bump, anyone at all attempted this them self, or even watched someone do it?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If it is anything like a windshield you takes some rope, throw it in the rubber gasket, push the window in as much as you can and while you are pushing someone starts pulling the rope straight out as to roll the gasket on the outside so it is encased with the weatherstrip/gasket.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 AM

that is the same way you do the rear window, with rope in the rubber gasket, but can I get away without removing the plastic panels and headliner and such?
Old 04-18-2012, 04:39 AM
Climb to Glory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzdel View Post
that is the same way you do the rear window, with rope in the rubber gasket, but can I get away without removing the plastic panels and headliner and such?
No, you can not get away without removing the panels. I just helped my friend install a new motor and window tracks a few weeks ago. It was actually really easy to do.

The seatbelt mounts up top had to come down and the side plastic panels came out. We also had to take out the carpeted panel against the back wall. The motor mounts behind the carpeted panel out of sight, on the passenger side of the back wall.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You use the rope method. Use very strong, small diameter rope (3/32"-1/8") and wrap it around the seal with the ends exiting the center bottom. Lube it all up with soapy water and have someone on the outside start the bottom of the window and help work it down and in as you pull the rope on the inside. It gets very tight at the upper corners, which is why you need very strong rope.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRNFST View Post
No, you can not get away without removing the panels. I just helped my friend install a new motor and window tracks a few weeks ago. It was actually really easy to do.

The seatbelt mounts up top had to come down and the side plastic panels came out. We also had to take out the carpeted panel against the back wall. The motor mounts behind the carpeted panel out of sight, on the passenger side of the back wall.
My power rear window had the cable pull out of it. I can still hear the motor running. The ford dealer said it would be a huge job to change out the window. They said you have to pull all of the interior around it and that it would be about 1700 to replace it. I'm a mechanic by trade, although not an auto mechanic, and I think I should be able to get that cable back up to the window and build a new connection for it.

Did you see anything in there that would make you believe it can't be done? I haven't taken mine apart yet. To be honest, I don't need it but since it's there I'd like for it to work propperly.

Any suggestions from anyone are appreciated. (except=flying rock/insurance claim)
Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 AM

Its easy to take apart, I dont mind doing it, I would just rather not if it not required, as its so time consuming and the plastic clips on my side panels are getting a little weak from removing them so many times haha..

I dont plan on installing a POWER slider, just a manual one. Looking at it as if I used the "rope" method, there is a good 1/4"+ clearance between the all the trim around the rear window, if someone is giving a good push on the outside I dont see how pulling the rope will not pop the gasket to the inside??

I just read another post a guy having a pro instal a new power sliding back window, they said it took them less than 15 minutes to remove the old window and install the new one.. I just cant see that happening if they stripped the interior..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.