Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Weird oil leak. Is this possible?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  southend 
#1 ·
My ICP sensor was leaking. I changed it tonight. After I got it in I took the truck for a ride and when I rolled under the truck to check and make sure the new one wasn't leaking I found oil running down the drivers side of the bellhousing again but not from the ICP and not nearly as bad

So, I took it to the car wash and power washed it again. After the three mile ride home there was some more oil on the bellhousing. I cleaned everything with carb cleaner and rags. Started the truck up and had my wife hold the RPMS at 2K for a few minutes. With a small Mag light and a mirror I could not find a leak anywhere. Not from the HPOP cover, not between the aluminum plate that covers the HPOP gears, nowhere. Except, it started weeping out from between the bellhousing and HPOP gear cover, WTH!?!

I develoved a theory. Maybe, if I'm lucky, the oil I'm seeing is left over oil from the ICP leaking for 500 miles at 80mph which, BTW covered the bottom of the truck. Assuming that's the only leak... Maybe it's trapped in the belhousing, bolt holes or something like that and it's just running out.

Take a look at the pic below, I circled the spot it's leaking from. Unless I'm wrong, there shouldn't be any oil there. In front of that, between the plate and the block yes, but not between the bellhousing and the plate. OR, am I wrong. Can it leak oil there??? Also, keep in ming this is the old pic from the original leak (ICP). What ya think?

See less See more
#4 ·
Glow plug harness? It's coming down from the cylinder head, I see oil from the corner of the head gasket.

#5 ·
GOOD NEWS! It was just left over oil from the ICP leaking! Apparently the bolt holes and the bottom of the bellhousing were full of oil and weeping.

I parked the truck on on a hill facing downwards and after an hour or so there was some oil coming out of the bolt holes but most of it started weeping out between the bellhousing and the HPOP gear cover or "plate" right at the bottom.

I let it set overnight, cleaned it up and took it for an hour drive and it's clean as a whistle! YEAH!!!!

#6 ·
Thanks for the update. I may have the same problem. ICP sensor leaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.