40 degree delta - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
40 degree delta

My Edge Insight CTS arrived in the mail yesterday. I ran my new to me, 2004 6.0 for about ten miles today. I was running 65mph with the AC on max the whole way. The coolant temp was 188 and the oil temp was 228. That's a 40F delta.

From what I read on this site, I need an oil cooler. Do I need to check my head gaskets? What should I be careful of until I replace the oil cooler? Should I drive with my foot off the gas for the week or so that it will take to get this thing fixed?

I'm performing the flush and fill procedure this weekend including backflushing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

Um wouldnt bother flushing not going to do any good, might even make it worse.

Do not drive the truck, park it until you can get an oil cooler replaced.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If the truck is not going to be properly flushed, my understanding is that it will immediately foul the new cooler. I've toyed with getting the BulletProof air/oil heat exchanger (which is $2300), which would help.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When you do the repairs must do the egr cooler also you can do a delete if no testing i like the BPD egr cooler and the Ford oil cooler will work well. Get a new t/stat Ford only [RT-1169]Motorcraft Thermostat-RT1169-Ford Diesel Trucks - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks
I use 48 gallons of distilled water when i did mine and 1/2 gallon of Restore then 1/2 gallon of Restore+ total time 12.5hrs overkill maybe but i have a clean system.
2 stroker
Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Emergency Services

What RPM are you running at 65mph? If you have gears in the truck it will change your temps at 65mph.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
damned if you do, damned if you don't. With those deltas, flushing will plug it even more so you risk blowing your HG. If you replace your oil cooler now, you may have enough particulate left in your coolant to clog the new one immediately. With that large of a delta, your only options for immdiate repair would be the bulletproof ol cooler or installing a new cooler, flushing with the new cooler, then replacing it again.

There's no way to rectify this with just one stock cooler as the previous owner neglected the truck way too long.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Flush with Restore and Restore Plus at 190* for 2 hrs each, then flush livin' crap out of it with tap water till absolutely clean and clear. Then flush at least 24 gallons of distilled water through it. On the last drain cycle replace the oil cooler and egr cooler or install an egr delete. Then top off with 3.5 gallons of ELC CONCENTRATE. If needed finish topping off with distilled water. With 40* delta I would fix it before driving it any more.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

If your not getting white smoke, then chances are your EGR isn't busted yet and your not about to pop the head gaskets. If you got an early '04/'03 engine then that EGR cooler (round one) is stronger and can handle higher deltas for longer, my truck had a 35-37* delta when I got it as well. I'm at about 8K past my OC/EGR delete and my HGs are doing fine. So I'd go with what PGreenSVT said.

If your ECT was a steady 188* while touching 190*, but not really dipping below 188* then I wouldn't get a new thermostat yet. Seems to be pretty on par with others results including my own. With an unclogged Oil Cooler I'm sure it'll bring that up a few degrees since it'll actually be getting heat from the oil. And if you really only ran 10 miles or maybe less then your block probably wasn't at full heat soak yet.

Recommend a coolant filter at the same time to clear up any left over particles. They're decently priced as well, I did my own and ended up spending more.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What about checking the temps using other methods?? What happens if it ends up being a $30 temp sensor?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I should throw a wrench light for that great a delta shouldn't it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.