Have you driven a lemon... lately? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have you driven a lemon... lately?

I bought a used 2006 F250 XL, regular cab long box 4x4 with the 6.0 and the 6 speed manual last summer and am wondering what I gotten myself into.

First time something broke was on the test drive and a ball joint or something went out in the front end, and I thought, what are the odds of something else going wrong. Next the rear ABS sensor went out, but that is a typical problem (I guess ford uses crappy sensors). Then the integrated trailer brake controller flashes TBC Fault every time I start it up. Then I was having a sporadic problem with the steering not wanting to return to center after turning a corner and finally I was stranded in my parking lot at work because I couldn't get the pickup into gear and the dealer just said that I need a new slave cylinder AND a clutch. I have also not done anything to bullet proof the motor yet!

Here is my question. This is the first Ford product I have owned. Does this kind of typically happen with these vehicles? It is a 2006 with 72k and that doesn't seem old to me.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

So you have a few front end problems. I'd have em fix it since it broke on the test drive. It's probably all related.
TBC is probably hacked trailer wiring at the rear. Big deal.
ABS sometimes go out.
The trans, I'm not sure. Low fluid?

Honestly, those don't really seem that bad. Front end issues were common, the next two are little. Trans might be a big, might not.
72k miles is a lot if no one kept up maintenance though.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:48 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnick73 View Post
I bought a used 2006 F250 XL, regular cab long box 4x4 with the 6.0 and the 6 speed manual last summer and am wondering what I gotten myself into.

First time something broke was on the test drive and a ball joint or something went out in the front end, and I thought, what are the odds of something else going wrong.
High, very very high.
I would gather you did not pay a qualified mechanic to check this truck out before buying it.?.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnick73 View Post
Next the rear ABS sensor went out, but that is a typical problem (I guess ford uses crappy sensors). Then the integrated trailer brake controller flashes TBC Fault every time I start it up. Then I was having a sporadic problem with the steering not wanting to return to center after turning a corner and finally I was stranded in my parking lot at work because I couldn't get the pickup into gear and the dealer just said that I need a new slave cylinder AND a clutch. I have also not done anything to bullet proof the motor yet!

Here is my question. This is the first Ford product I have owned. Does this kind of typically happen with these vehicles? It is a 2006 with 72k and that doesn't seem old to me.
Reality check:

You bought a used truck....and bought it knowing it had issues.
If something breaks on the test drive, that typically doesn't indicate that the vehicle was well cared for.

That problem you are having with the steering wheel not returning to center, and wandering is probably because whoever replaced the balljoint doesn't quite understand the front end of a 4x4...or whoever paid for the repair told the mechanic to do it as cheap as possible.
When you are in far enough to replace the balljoint, you should replace the u-joints on the axles as well. Your right there and they are cheap and easy to replace at this point, and will cost you much much more to have to go back in later to change.
Those u-joints tend to wear a certain way, and once you disturb them (like having them go beyond where they have worn when removed for balljoint replacement) will result in their failure. This holds true on ANY solid axle 4 wheel drive.
It sucks to have to go back in to address the failed u-joint and the cost of the seals you will need to replace will cost you more than the u-joint itself. Do it right, do it once. Half-azz the job and do it over and over and over again until it is done right.
When that u-joint fails, it will cause the steering wheel to act rather strangely as the u-joint locks up as it rotates. It may pull to one side, then quickly pull to the other side. The steering wheel may stick when turning corners, it may vibrate like crazy at all speeds.
It is also possible you have some other suspension related issue with the front end that could do result in it acting the way you describe. It isn't easy to diagnose suspension problems without physically seeing the truck..driving it..riding in it.
Since you knew that there was bad front end maintenance when you bought it, you should expect to have to rebuild the front end from one side to the other. If anything is "good" then that should be viewed as a bonus.

As far as not doing anything to the motor yet, don't.
Not until you get the proper gauges on it. Those gauges should be very high on your to-do list. They should be so high on that list that they should come straight out of your next paycheck. Those gauges will pay for themselves many many times over if you know what to watch for, and you react when they give you a warning...and not waiting for total disaster to strike.

You bought a used diesel truck that requires frequent and expensive maintenance...and you have no idea what that maintenance was like previous to your ownership, so you should expect to have to play catch-up on it.
Check out the "basic info for the 6.0 owner" link in my signature line for more info about the gauges you need, why and what to look for.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

What he said...
Old 04-11-2012, 02:32 PM

I have the same truck, love it. Bought it with 30 k miles on it. Repairs have not been too bad to date and mostly under warranty, such as a abs sensor, brake calipers, egr valve, cam pos sensor, fuel pump, ball joints. Regular maintenance and some mods. 105,000 miles currently.

Best of luck, read a lot on this forum and you'll be ok. Get a monitor.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought it from the Ford dealer in Rochester, MN. I guess that indicates the quality of service they perform if they only replace the one failed component.

I had a 92 chevy half ton and I didn't care for the IFS when I would have a snow plow mounted as it would sag quite a bit. I find it kind of funny that the one of the solid axle selling points is that there are less moving parts so there should be less chances for failure but I never touched the front end of the Chevy (except to grease the zerks) and I already have to replace a bunch of parts on the solid axle.

Can you get new parts that have zerks, rather than the "maintenance free"?

I was thinking of flushing with distilled water and replacing the Ford gold coolant as I would be afraid of plugging up the oil cooler with using the restore products and I wouldn't do that without a monitor.

I guess I would be upset if I bought a brand new pickup for $40K+ and then you have to take it to the dealer for warranty work constantly. I had a coworker who had a Focus and was saying how the dealership was so nice to him when he went in for warranty work, and I thought, "I would rather have the dealership be a bunch of jerks and not need to take my Toyota there to get fixed".
Old 04-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You bought a USED AND ABUSED truck...Please don't expect anything from it...

It was explained above as to why you have front end problems....Crappy/cheap work!

Don't blame the manufacturer for the Previous owners halfazz job
Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

At the VERY least, get a Scangauge II from Autozone.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
72k isn't new by any means (6 years old now). These fronts are heavy and they do get worn out.

3 out of my 4 balljoints were shot by 70k. So was the entire draglink. I'm not sold on greaseable fittings. I have seen them many of them wear out as fast or faster than motorcraft.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
All of the above points are good ones. Seems like the truck was not properly cared for by the previous owner. That and the fact that you bought it used and it is 6 years old and has 72k miles on it mean that you really can't claim it is a LEMON.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.