EBP tube ! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EBP tube !

Hey guys, first post, but been lurking a long time. My 2007 f 350 has 100,000 miles. i have been reading, thought i could easily remove the EBP tube and sensor to clean it if it needs it. I bought this truck last year with 72,000 miles. i do all of my own oil changes, fuel filter changes, coolant flushes, etc, i am very mechanically inclined.
i removed the EBP tube and sensor in about 5 mintues, to my surprise it was clean, i then spent over an hour trying to thread the tube end into the nipple on the exhaust manifold the threads looke good, i removed the ebp tube without problem, just cant thread it back on the threaded nipple on the exhaust manifold. so the next day, i tried to drive the truck to the dealer, truck blew clouds of black smoke, max speed 30mph, i got within a 1/4mile of ford dealership and truck died!, had to be towed to dealership! dealer tech could not get it theaded back on, and they ordered a new ebp tube. so i am truckless until the new tube comes in, hopefully today. Hindsight says i should have removed just the sensor at the top of the tube , cleaned sensor, use wire cable to clean tube, re install ensor and carry on. dealer price on new tube( not sure if it includes new sensor) is $180 dollars !
so take this as a word of warning, the threaded end of the tube may not re thread after 100,000miles.
crazy as this next statement may sound, i have the complete bullet proof diesel oil cooler and egr cooler at my house. a friend of mine is a ford master mechanic who has agreed to help me on the install of this kit this weekend.
currently my EOT and ECT deltas are 10-12 degrees, truck has original oil cooler, so installing this bullet proof kit is a preventive measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Man that sucks! I pulled the EBP tube off mine and cleaned it no problem. Truck had 110k miles on it. Better luck installing the BPD stuff!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Premium Member

Your dealer is ripping you off...I did the same thing 2-3 weeks ago, turned out a previous owner did it and stripped the threads on the exhaust manifold adapter and tube end. Took 1 day for the dealer to order and cost me $65 including tax for both the tube and exhaust manifold adapter....And btw this local dealer charges nearly double for most parts compared to Tousley Ford.

The tube is a little different from my truck to yours, but it's probably about the same length and amount of bends.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
by cleaning this tube out it does what for our truck? This sensors has an input into what?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Old 04-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMT Hick View Post
by cleaning this tube out it does what for our truck? This sensors has an input into what?
Exhaust back pressure sensor. It is used to determine what position the turbo vanes are in as well as an input to the PCM to improve injection timing. In my experience, the EBP sensors don't get as gunked up on the 6.0 as the 7.3's.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 AM

got the truck back yesterday, runs fine now, the dealer replaced the ebp tube, charged me 122 for the tube and another 60 for labor, plus tax. so i got outta there for just under 200 dollars. I think what Evil Eye said must be correct, i did not see any gunk in my ebp tube, and it was the original tube on the truck, truck had just turned 100,000miles when i checked the tube.
it is hard not to let something this simple dampen my spirtis, but i am still going to install the BPD oil cooler and egr cooler this weekend, hope all goes well.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
got the truck back yesterday, runs fine now, the dealer replaced the ebp tube, charged me 122 for the tube and another 60 for labor, plus tax. so i got outta there for just under 200 dollars. I think what Evil Eye said must be correct, i did not see any gunk in my ebp tube, and it was the original tube on the truck, truck had just turned 100,000miles when i checked the tube.
it is hard not to let something this simple dampen my spirtis, but i am still going to install the BPD oil cooler and egr cooler this weekend, hope all goes well.
Don't worry about it, man. The EBP tube is EASY to strip out when it isn't aligned properly. Somebody must have gotten their meaty paws on it and cranked it down and cross threaded it. Until you had taken it apart, you wouldn't have known. Don't let it get you down.

PS. The BPD oil cooler and EGR cooler install job is no joke, but most of the parts are not delicate like the EBP tube.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:35 AM

i can say the BPD oil cooler and egr cooler and oil cooler lines, all the parts in this kit are TOP QUALITY ! , i also purchased the IPR screen, oil pressure switch, bullet proof diesel truck step. going to start on the truck friday after work, hope to finish sometime saturday.

If there are ANY other powerstroke owners,or mechanics that want to come over to my house and watch, turn a wrench, etc while i am doing this BPD oil cooler and egr cooler, send me a PM message.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
i can say the BPD oil cooler and egr cooler and oil cooler lines, all the parts in this kit are TOP QUALITY ! , i also purchased the IPR screen, oil pressure switch, bullet proof diesel truck step. going to start on the truck friday after work, hope to finish sometime saturday.

If there are ANY other powerstroke owners,or mechanics that want to come over to my house and watch, turn a wrench, etc while i am doing this BPD oil cooler and egr cooler, send me a PM message.
I would but Texas is a but far for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.