need to decide on a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need to decide on a 6.0

Hey guys, the usual...in the market for a truck, saw a nice 6.0 that looks perfect. Have heard all the horror stories. I'm not much of a wrench but have a great dealership that's looked after previous ps trucks. Here is the VIN for what I'm looking at: 1FTWX31P35EB62461. Anyone have a way of looking into this to see any history, updates, recalls etc? Thanks for your help. Need to purchase something this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Personal opinion. I would not buy a 6.0 if I only had one week. You may get lucky. But I personally don't feel one week is enough time to do the research needed, test drive a good handful compare prices, do more research... Unless your on vacation... Than I suppose its possible.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, I know its not adviseable. I've actually been researching for weeks and comparing prices but I'm still on the fence. I'm almost at decision point though. I'm partial to ford trucks, its all I've ever driven. We already have a 2001 f450 7.3 AT w/120k, a 2000 f350 7.3 stick w/210k and a 2004 f250 AT triton v10 w/115k. I was hoping to rely on my experience of those to know if it feels right. This purchase would a combination of work and personal truck. I am specifically asking for help on this vehicle. I know there are folks out there that have easy access to documented vehicle history and service records.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get a scantool or cts asap, check the deltas! Any Ford dealer can get an oasis report, look at the coolant, the overflow cap area, beyond that check the truck like you would any other used vehicle. These trucks are really solid, if the 6.0 scares you look for a v-10, I own both and the v-10 is the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned, the 6.0 are not as bad as people say, but they are expensive when they do need repair.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Check for smoke in the exhuast, deltas in coolant and oil temps, FICM voltage, puking coolant out of the degas/overfill bottle... all of these things except the smoke part can be checked by either a scangauge2 or an Edge CS/CTS...

If you want a diesel (6oh expecially) you will need one of those monitoring solutions
Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry xjeeper, need a little clarification. Where can I purchase scan tool? How much? Cts? Oasis report? Give me a moment to catch up...
Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My brother in law just bought one last night. We went all over central Texas and parts of North Texas looking. When we would find one in his price rang i would hook up my scan gauge. We test drove several trucks on only the ones at a Ford Dealership checked out good on the deltas. There is a particular dealership in "North Texas" that sales only Trucks and they basically said they didn't care that the deltas were out.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i think they're selling the edge insights now for around 300, and they work with different years/models too.

you'll be able to check your coolant and oil temps, and also ficm voltage among other things.

i bought my 05 6.0 with 119K and have only done preventive fixes so far besides one bad injector.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivtrac View Post
Yeah, I know its not adviseable. I've actually been researching for weeks and comparing prices but I'm still on the fence. I'm almost at decision point though. I'm partial to ford trucks, its all I've ever driven. We already have a 2001 f450 7.3 AT w/120k, a 2000 f350 7.3 stick w/210k and a 2004 f250 AT triton v10 w/115k. I was hoping to rely on my experience of those to know if it feels right. This purchase would a combination of work and personal truck. I am specifically asking for help on this vehicle. I know there are folks out there that have easy access to documented vehicle history and service records.
Yeap, listen to the guys above. Any dealer can give you an oasis (Ford vehicle warranty history) OASIS is the name of the database. If they are sketchy about it move along.

Scanner, SGII is the cheapest, You wont be able to read Exhaust temps, but even a cts can't do it out of the box.

If you get one be sure to post up some pics! good luck.

Welcome to the ORG. If you get one you will be spending A LOT of time round these parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.