'03 6.0 oil leak - ICP sensor? This sucks :( - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 02:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'03 6.0 oil leak - ICP sensor? This sucks :(

We just came back from a huge trip, about 2500 miles. Somewhere between Kentuky and Michigan my truck developed a leak. It wasn't leaking when we were at Mammoth Caves and I didn't notice anything until we parked in my driveway. It appears to be coming from the top rear of the engine, more on the drivers side but some on the passenger side too. It's all over the bottom of the truck, from the engine to the rear axle and that's a long ways back there on a crew cab long box...

I searched around and from what I can gather it may be the ICP sensor. I guess the only way to know for sure is to pull it and see or is there an easier way to know for sure?

Could there be anything else that could cause this? The truck runs perfect and starts right up...

TIA ~ Matt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 AM

Most likely the ICP. Common on the 03.
Replace the connector while your in there.
The oil weeps through the connector and into the wires.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:40 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The ICP is common on the 03 so that is possible. Have you done anything to the truck lately. When I have a problem, I always look at something I did to it recently first.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:44 AM

icp is very easy to check its ont he back end you can reach it from the drivers side pull the conector and check for oil i just did this job on a 03 excursion u will need a tool if you plan on tackleing this yourself let me know if you need anything as others said replace the connectors as well its a common job can be done in an hr
Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of "dat dere six leakers" I've had all kind of leaks, rear main, rear engine cover, crankcase seal, turbo lines and head gaskets. I've costed ford thousands of dollars in warranty repair along the way. Serves them right!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the replies y'all. I plan on pulling the degas bottle and FICM tonight and getting in there for a look....

So it leaks though the connector part of it? WOW! It's hard to believe that much oil can come from that little connector. It's friggen' everywhere under the truck!

I haven't done anything to the truck in that area. I did install the blue spring, the zoo-dad mod, an egr delete, a cat delete, a coolant filter and an edge evo ht tuner before we left. I ran it pretty hard, 80+mph the whole way and I was jumping on it to pass slow moving dip ****s. Maybe I ragged on her a little to hard...
Old 04-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

How much oil do yo have under the truck? Generally, the ICP sensor will fail by the time it leaks any amount of oil to be noticeable. I would be leaning more towards a gasket being broke somewhere at the rear of the engine. Since you just had your turbo off, definitely check the lines for it too.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
How much oil do yo have under the truck? Generally, the ICP sensor will fail by the time it leaks any amount of oil to be noticeable. I would be leaning more towards a gasket being broke somewhere at the rear of the engine. Since you just had your turbo off, definitely check the lines for it too.
A LOT! It's covering everything! But, it could have started leaking somewhere around KY and driving 80+mph for 500 miles could have spread it all over. It was only about a quart and half low on oil...
Old 04-10-2012, 05:43 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

That's a lot! Definitely came frome someplace other than the ICP sensor. If that much oil came out of the sensor, your truck wouldn't even start.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
That's a lot! Definitely came frome someplace other than the ICP sensor. If that much oil came out of the sensor, your truck wouldn't even start.
Well, I guess I have some investigating to do. I tried to look last night with a small Mag light but couldn't determine where exactly it was coming from. Just up high and from the back of the engine. Uhhh, what a PITA....

I did enjoy driving her all over the eastern side of the US though... With the Evo HT set on "Economy" and the other stuff I did, it gets up and hauls azz! The wife, three kids and I were real comfy and we plenty of room for our stuff and five bikes. This was the first big trip we took in it. The only other trip we took was when we towed the boat last summer from MI to NC when it was stock. Trying to be posative...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.