Is an EGR Delete really necessary? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is an EGR Delete really necessary?

I'll start off by saying my truck is an 8/03 build which means I have the better style egr cooler (tubular style vs radiator fin style). I am running the mods in my sig but the egr system is still functioning. 232,000 miles and the entire engine bay is factory, even the gold coolant. Pulled out my egr valve to clean the other day and there is no build up of anything, didnt even need to use carb cleaner. No issues with anything. I got real lucky buying this 6.0. So my question is, with this kind of mileage and no previous issues, would it be worth doing an egr delete, like the sinister kit? I romp on the truck once a week to make sure everything is cleared out so it always runs great. Just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 PM

I say if it "aint broke dont fix it"

I have personally seen some very high mileage stockers 200-500k. Not knowing how much oe stuff has been replaced its hard to say if they got that way being "left alone"? Im sure there will be several people tell you you need egr delete, coolant filter, head studs and a tuner. IMO id run it like you have been and smile all the way to the bank
Old 04-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i HAD to replace my first one. but now im making sure my deltas are within reason so i dont have to do it again. cost money and work time. not a good thing. NO you dont have to replace it IMO, just keep an eye on what makes the 6.0 work properly.

bailey
Old 04-10-2012, 03:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

did you put the 200k+ on it or buy it that way?
If you did, don't change a dang thing, and if you don't mind a camera crew will be by to follow you around for one month...

If not.... get a camera crew to follow the last guy around for a month and then do what he does.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:58 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Id delete it. There is no such thing as a better stock EGR cooler. They're both junk
Old 04-10-2012, 04:51 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There have been significantly less EGR cooler failures with the round coolers than the square ones. In fact, BPD's EGR cooler is designed similarily to the 03-04 EGR coolers, with better design, materials, and welding of course. Despite that fact, I still say get rid of it. Where does the exhaust gas belong? In the exhaust. It has no business being in the intake tract of your engine. Kinda like how Crankcase gases have no business being in your intake either. For the best performance of your engine, you want pure air being sent in to the cylinders to mix with the fuel, not any of that other crap. JMO
Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
The EGR system is something that isnt going to maybe fail, it will just depends when.

How are you 100% sure you still have the stock one? Oasis is great, however I know that durring warente time I did a lot of stuff to my truck that wasnt done at Ford.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mine is working fine and i am still going to get rid of it when i have the money, and the other mods to do while i am in that far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.