'07 6.0 F550, yes or no? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'07 6.0 F550, yes or no?

First of all, great forum!

I'm considering a second diesel (other is a '96 Cummins 12v), and have been looking at an '07 6.0 F550 dually with a Stahl utility/tool bed. Its a four door model, 4wd, and is in very good condition. Its a sinlge owner truck, and currently has 70k miles on the odometer. I know the history of the truck pretty well, and has never had any issues. Current owner occasionally pulls a Kubota backhoe, maybe a couple of times a month, but that's about it. I believe the backhoe weighs well under 10k pounds, so the truck has not been overloaded.

Here are my questions. Given the known issues with the 6.0, how concerned would you be buying one with 70k miles and zero mechanical issues to this point? Do you think it would be necessary to do any mods, or would it be safe to simply drive as is? I've done a little research, and it appears that most of the bugs were fixed by the '07/'08 models. However, being a 6.0, I am a little skeptical. I don't want to spend $15-20k on a truck, just to have to turn around and drop another $5k to make it reliable.

Also, what is the bumper towing capacity of this particular truck?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
like every other thread on here about buying a 6.0 reguardless of the year mileage and what ever. you are at some point and time gonna sink some cash into it plain and simple..!! we all on here will recomend you do a egr delete get some gauges weather its a scan gauge or a edge insight also you switch coolant to a elc.. if you wantto tune it tune it if not then dont. and iirc all bumbers are about the same when it comes to towing capacity its the hitch that differs as your towing class.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I can probably pick out a thousand on every single used superduty out there. Not just on the engine either... How are the brakes, balljoints and steering linkages? How are the tires? Does it need aligned?

The 6.0 might not be the most reliable engine but a F550 that got worked it's whole life isn't just going to have potential engine problems. You are looking at a "used" vehicle, it's not going to be perfect, if it was it would be new and cost twice as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.