FICM monitoring question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 09:28 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM monitoring question

I just had my FICM redone, I found out it was bad when checked for codes.

Now I'm wondering if I need to keep a constant eye on the FICM voltage, or if it would be almost as good to monitor my battery voltage closely with an external gauge and check my codes regularly.

While it would be best to monitor the FICM directly, I have a device plugged into the OBDII port already and I would like to keep it if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 09:52 AM
back to business

I don't think it's nessecary to constantly monitor FICM voltage. I do, however, think it's a good idea to check it farily frequently.
I check FICM voltage everytime I do an oil change. I also scan for codes everytime I change my tune, about once or twice a month.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
What is currently plugged into your OBD II port?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 PM

Iíve got a banks six gun with speed loader plugged in right now, not that I use it for much more than monitoring systems right now. It was on the truck when I bought it and it uses a palm pilot pda as the display. I donít really use it for the added power, Iíve only had the truck for about a year and am happy with the power over the ford gasers Iíve owned in the past and I know what happens once you start going faster (my stock 5.0 ended up with a nitros etc.) so Iím trying to control myself. Iíve been reading that the banks system isnít liked because of high cost and transmission issues, but Iíve got a manual trans didnít have to pay for it so Iím thinking Iíll keep it if the go fast bug gets me again.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FICM

I agree that FICM voltage is great to monitor and will obviously let you know that there is a problem when the voltage drops below specifications when testing (key in ignition on, cranking, running) and so on as I learned on the forum. (This forum is great) I now monitor it with my Scanguage II that I purchased as suggested by someone on the forum. I had great voltage in all positions and still had a bad FICM. I did not learn this until after I replaced an injector thinking it was bad due to all the input I received. In my uneducated term, there is a control side to the FICM that has nothing to do with voltage that can go bad. I am just trying to spread the word and hopefully help someone else out that may read this. Monitoring the voltage can definitely tell you when the FICM is bad but; having good voltage does not guarantee the FICM is good. Even when I called the company that repairs the FICM and gave them all of my details, they gave me several other issues that they believed was probably wrong instead of the FICM. The guy was very knowledgeable and intellegent. I have learned that somtimes it is an easy diagnosis and other times it is not. I love the forum and appreciate all of the help.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I ended up with codes before my FICM decided to finally die leaving me stranded but others aren't so lucky. Many of my friends with 6.0L's have had their FICM's die with no warning at all. Just woke up to a no start with LOTS of white smoke that smelled like diesel. Anyway, I like to monitor FICM voltage since the FICM is CRITICAL to the operation of the truck and one of the early warning signs of failure is the FICM voltage dropping below 45v. Not sure if it's available on the Power PDA (maybe there's a firmware update you can download), but it's available on several of the other electronic monitoring setups. IMO if it is left up to a human to have to go do something, you won't be as consistent as if it were on your monitor and you just have to glance over to know its working properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.