bigger towing "delta" after EGR delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
bigger towing "delta" after EGR delete

Guys, sanity check my logic below. I am seeing higher towing delta after EGR delete, but I think that makes sense:

I just did studs, NEW OIL COOLER, all the std updates like sct/turbo lines/standpipes. I added a banks IC and ducting, and Gogo EGR delete/intake, that totally removes all EGR stuff and cooler.

I did add a custom "studded" towing tune that runs hotter no doubt, but what I am seeing is a higher delta than normal

before my oil temps and water not towing were about 10 degree difference and towing about 15-20.

Now not towing is about 7 deg diff, and 20-25 diff towing.

This seems weird but does it not make since that the water is not being mixed with the exhaust anymore that it would make since the ECT would be 5-10 lower?

Just checking my math. I was towing up hill and headwinds like a madman this weekend, testing my new engine. Towing harder, hotter, and faster then normal, but I did throw a wrench light twice for delta. Both times it was when i was running the sh%#z out of here and she was getting hot, but developed a 20-25 delta and the coolant temps just didnt keep up.

For example, from a dead stop after idling my ECT and EOT would be within 10. Then if I just dropped the hammer and charged up a long climb in the mountains, the EOT would rise a quick, and visible rate on the gauge, the ECT rises too, just not quite as quick, it catches up, but during those hard acceleration tests uphill, when the EOT got out front by about 25 degrees, it threw the wrench light. No loss of power, resets with key cycle. Anyway, thoughts?

thanks as always for the sanity check.

JJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Makes perfect sense JJ. The egr recirculates spent gasses through the motor which don't have any oxygen left to burn. For example sake lets say the cylinder is being filled with 80% fresh air and 20% recirculated spent gasses. The engine is being fueled for the 80% useable fresh air to produce X power.

Now delete the egr and the same conditions now fill the cylinder with 100% fresh air. The engine is fueled for that 100% fresh air, makes more power due to the extra air and fuel and therefore generates more heat.

What you are seeing is normal.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds plausible, backs up when people say deltas when towing mean nothing,
Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 AM

Agreed. Also, since you don't have an EGR anymore, all you really need to care about anymore is if EOT gets too hot that it hits defuel level, or your ECT gets to hot and pops a hose. As long as that doesn't happen, you're fine.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM

My ECT was always right at 190 before my EGR delete. When I installed my BPD waterpump, new thermostat, cat elc (after flush), and EGR delete now my ECT hovers between 196 and 202. I was worried for the first week but she's stayed consistent so I figured it's the new norm. My EOT is 4-5 degrees higher at most now.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 PM

In addition to the above, the oil cooler is before the EGR cooler anyways. The big issue watching the delta was when the oil cooler starts clogging up, the EGR cooler would overheat and boil the coolant causing it to puke and eventually cracking the EGR cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.