hit 100,000 miles, want to change front and rear end fluid - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hit 100,000 miles, want to change front and rear end fluid

hey guys, well my 06 turned 100,000 miles on sunday, im due for a service but am waiting for my oil to come in at work so im holding off on my oil change and stuff until then. I got to thinking it may not be a bad time to change the front and rear end fluid, i doubt its ever been done and now would be that time, so if anyone would be so kind as to what type of fluid, how much fluid and how much limited slip additive or what type/kind (part #) i need, i would greatly appreciate it, if there is a better option than the oem motorcraft fluid let me know im all ears. thanks alot guys. Any opinions on anything else i should do for my 100 k check up im all ears, i really havent had any problems with the truck whatsoever, only thing its had done is 1 ficm and head gaskets. that is it. I love my 6.0 its been darn good to me and i definetely want to keep it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Bump to top
Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 PM

Double check but I believe this is the correct fluids:
Front Diff: 80w90
Rear Diff: 75w140 + 8 ounces of friction modifier - unless the synthetic you get has some in it already (should say if it does)

Some say they use 75w140 for both or 75w90 for the front. I have 4 quarts of red line 75W90 in the garage from my old truck so odds are that's going to be what I use for the front.

Just splurge and go synthetic. Also change the transfer case oil too, 1 bolt to drain and 1 to fill. And if splurging on synthetic still leaves you with money to spend, get an 08 rear diff cover (around $50ish plus you sourcing new (longer) bolts).
Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM

Also found this site while I was searching to confirm my numbers above, mash me. It has some good pictures to go by.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:19 PM

I run amsoil 80w90 synthetic in the front, Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in the transfer case, and Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110 in the rear. You will need 3 quarts for the front, 4 for the rear, and 2 for the transfer case. If you don't tow heavy loads much, you can get away with the 75w110 in the rear and pick up about 1mpg mileage improvement. And when I had the stock ford posi in the rear, I never used friction modifier with the amsoil, and it still worked as intended from the factory.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 PM

when fill back up do you fill to the bottom of the fill hole or is there a certan amount qts that are supose to go back in ?? i know my gear oil has never been changed
never mind thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.