rev-x really does work - my story - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
rev-x really does work - my story

few months ago i did an egr delete with some extra upgrades and i switched to CAT elc, my intake was very nasty and wet and i was getting white smoke on cold starts. after the delete the truck noticeably ran better until about a month ago. the white smoke came back, and the motor was missing for a few seconds right when you started it. i took the truck to get the injectors checked and i had #4 replaced, that cured about 50% of my problem. no more missing, but i was still getting a fair amount of smoke on cold starts along with the fuel smell. checked my ficm, ipr, and hg's all were good. i decided to try rev-x, i put it in 4 days ago and now she is running like a champ. no more smoke at all, and no funny smells. this stuff is awesome, if anyone is having a similar problem, give it a shot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thanks for the info
Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
from what I've been told, REVX is good for preventative maintenance but if you used it to solve your issue, you're masking the inevitable... Hope it actually fixed your problem!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
from what I've been told, REVX is good for preventative maintenance but if you used it to solve your issue, you're masking the inevitable... Hope it actually fixed your problem!
Incorrect. The problem is injector stiction and Rex-X eliminates the stiction. There is no masking going on.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuzz78 View Post
Incorrect. The problem is injector stiction and Rex-X eliminates the stiction. There is no masking going on.
Good to know. I wsa told it will mask an injector going out. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM

When I first got my truck last year I changed the oil with Rotella T 15w40, early summer.

Early fall I started having rough cold starts as the temp dropped. When the oil change came due I used Rotella T6 5w40. It helped a lot, but it didn't completely solve the problem. After a week to see what effect the synthetic oil alone would have, I added the RevX. Major difference! Completely cleaned up the rough start and smoke, for a while. Still no rough running, but the smoke came back. Now, I don't know when it happened, but my EGR cooler has started leaking at some point, so it was probably injectors before but I don't think it is any more.

Second synthetic oil change and it's even better if that's possible, and that's without any new RevX added. I did get two doses in case I needed it, but I haven't so far. I will hold onto it through next winter at least, then if it stays like this I'll sell the second dose.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Questions before putting her back together

Couple of questions:

06 6.0 Just repaired STC fitting...
When I took my intake off it was all caked with soot. Dry but still nasty. Is there anything I can use to help clean the intake manifold other than elbow grease?
I am in a very warm climate. Lowest temp usually maybeeeee freezing. What oil? I have been running 15w40. Not synthetic, will it make a difference? And should I use RevX?

Have to wait for some $$$ to take care of oil cooler (which was in great shape) and egr cooler. Don't want the headache later on!!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i don't think it's masking a problem. i had the injectors checked and only #4 was low so i replaced it, that was causing most of the smoke and the missing. rev x just freed up any sticking injectors.

i'd get the intake manifold cleaned in a parts solution at a shop, like soaked in it. i used a ton of brake clean on mine and it didn't get everything out.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 AM

What's in Rev-X? I am going to try Prolong to fix my rough cold start issue.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
here you go

REV-X Oil Additive | Diesel Fuel Additive | High Performance Oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.