Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

33's vs. 35's

13K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  6.0DSLPWR 
#1 ·
hey guys,

I'm pretty new to the forum but I have been doing a lot of research on tires. I am lost right now because being 19 and trying to buy 1500 dollars worth of tires is kind of a big purchase for me. lol. damn college. Anyway, I have 33's right now (325/60/18) and I can't decide what to get for my next set. I really like the tires I have now which are hankook dynapro m/t but I have a 4.5" lift and I was thinking about moving up to 35's. I really would like to know the amount of power loss between the two sizes and how the road manners are when you move up to 35's. I'm aware that I will lose fuel mileage but you play you pay i guess lol. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Oh and to clarify I have 3.73 gears in the rear end

Thanks

#2 ·
I would like to know all of the above as well. I have 33's and when I get these down I'm gonna go to 35's but I don't want to loose to much fuel mileage. But I had 35's on my other truck and they didn't really wander the road bad or anything like that. I haven't really had this truck in the rain with big puddles and stuff yet but my other one you know big wide tires hit puddles and it can scare you a bit.

#3 ·
well like in the other thread thats going on right now imo your going to be ok its a little sluggish off the line thats about it once there rolling there rolling. little harder on tierods and stearing linkage at a stop or slow creaping when turning the wheel but you wil be ok nothing has changed with my truck as far mpgs

#4 ·
I can't attest to the power loss, but I run 37's on my truck and know of a few other that run that size or bigger with no problems. Drives fine. I have taken my truck on 2400 mile road trips and I drive 80mi a day total, to and from work on 37's. So driveability should be fine. BTW, mine is a 7.3, but I also have 3.73 gears so I don't think it will be a huge problem.
-Aaron

#5 ·
A little of topic but do you guys think 35's will fit under a 2006 f350 with stock suspension

#7 ·
Depends on the rim but there is about a 99.5% chance that it will need the fenders trimmed. (Don't forget 89% of statistics are made up on the spot) :p

Seriously though....Probably not without trimming. I had a buddy with a 2002 (A little different, I know) that ran 35's with a leveling kit and he still had to trim a hair on the fenders.

-Aaron

#12 · (Edited)
Depends on the rim but there is about a 99.5% chance that it will need the fenders trimmed. (Don't forget 89% of statistics are made up on the spot) :p
Statistically speaking, 60% of the time, it works every time. :hehe:

Anyways, I run 305 70s on a 16x10 rim on my 04 and they only rub at full lock on the inner edge of the mud flap. The truck is leveled too. But with a lift you should be fine with 35s. When you calculate mileage, make sure you compensate for the taller tire but even doing that you will lose some mpgs.

#9 ·
its still fun and im stock and rub at full turn only you will be ok the 05 and up have a littlr more clearance than the 04 and earlier get a 2.5 leveling kit you will be golden

#13 ·
35s will decrease MPGs due to higher weight and higher truck height..air resistance. Honestly I know we love the better look but I'd waited until mid summer to buy (when fuel is at it's highest) that way you'll get a better tire deal and the cost will go down throughout the year to drive the truck.

35s if balanced correctly do not wander.

Factory is 245/75/17 (31.4") thus equal 3.73
From Factory to true 33s makes a 3.56 rear end ratio
true 33s to true 35s makes a 3.52 rear end ratio
Thus you will lose very little power, and it will be off the line where you'll feel it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.