ICP sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ICP sensor

Well i believe my ICP sensor is bad and needs to be replaced. is there a write op on how to or can someone tell me how? and does someone have a picture of where it is? i know its behind/ under the turbo but any pictures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 06:25 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There is a write up search the forum. Im on my phone or I would do it. Its behind the turbo on our trucks. PITA but doable in a few hours. There are pictures in the write up.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:16 PM

Well i cant for the life of me find a write up on it. i can find alot of posts that say what to do but im a picture person lol
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 PM

on the 03s is a big pain, but doable. it took me a few hours. remove Air filter and intake going to turbo. remove degas bottle, remove FICM, its below turbo on back of motor.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:40 PM

Need help with 6.0L - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/86...ml#post7693493
Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

All I removed was the FICM, the degas bottle, and the stud that is in your way when you reach back to find the sensor. The stud has something grounded to it, but Im not sure what. You will also have to undo a few other electrical connections (not sure what they are, but they will obviously be in the way.) Get a deep 1 1/16" socket, a swivel, and 3 or 4 6-8 inch extensions and its easy to turn out. Once you get the everything taken off, you can shine a light back behind the turbo and see some heat shield/insulation that is wrapped around the sensor wires. Pull that back and undo the connection. Put the socket on the swivel first, then put that whole thing on the sensor, connect your extensions, and spin that bad boy out. Thread the new one in by hand as far as you can, and snug it up with the socket again. Put it all back together and your done.

I tried to take a picture of it but the light wasnt the greatest and its so damn far back in there I couldnt get a good shot of it anyways.

Also: The sensor is behind the turbo, and also SOMEWHAT below it, it's kind of hard to see if you dont kow what you are looking for, but the insulation around the wires should give it away. Mine was red or orange I think, you can reach back there and feel it, if it feels like some sort of insulation, thats it.

And: I would go ahead and put a new pigtail on it too, takes an extra 10 minutes but lets you know for sure it wasnt messed up either. Just make sure to match up the wires.

Good luck

Edit: If you have any questions feel free to pm me, it should come to my phone and Ill get back to you asap.

Last edited by napier_1; 03-31-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:39 AM

Replace the connector too. 5C3Z-12224-AA I think.
The ICP on the 2003 usually pushes oil into the connector and wires when it fails.
Make sure they give you a 3C3Z ICP not the later 4C3Z
Old 03-31-2012, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Tried to take you a pic man

1 is the insulation that is wrapped around the wires, 2 is the stud I recommend taking out, or you will beat your hand and wrist up trying to reach back in there. I know this is a terrible pic but its about the best I could do. All of the electrical connections that you seen in this pic were disconnected too when I did it, and maybe a few more.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 AM

Alright thanks for all the help, and i also got the pig tail connector with it so im replacing that as well. thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Great advice in this thread, Mike. Keep us posted on how you do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.