Flushing Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
Flushing Question

So I'm planning on doing my oil cooler and egr delete on Easter weekend (April 7th). I know your supposed to flush the coolant system before doing this project and I will be doing so on the Monday before that weekend. If i flush it on Monday, will I need to flush it again right before the oil cooler swap? And if yes, than can i run a lesser concentration of coolant to water in a effort to save money?

I thought that I would just do the flush Monday, drive it for the week, then drain just enough coolant into a clean bucket to do my planned work and pour the drained fluid back in.

Sorry for the long azz post

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You wont need to flush it again. How long have you had the coolant filter on?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmtnbiker View Post
So I'm planning on doing my oil cooler and egr delete on Easter weekend (April 7th). I know your supposed to flush the coolant system before doing this project and I will be doing so on the Monday before that weekend. If i flush it on Monday, will I need to flush it again right before the oil cooler swap? And if yes, than can i run a lesser concentration of coolant to water in a effort to save money?

I thought that I would just do the flush Monday, drive it for the week, then drain just enough coolant into a clean bucket to do my planned work and pour the drained fluid back in.

Sorry for the long azz post

Hope you have the coolant filter in place for a few k and do not run a lesser concentration in the cooling system add 3 1/2 gallons of CAT EC-1 ELC coolant then you will have a 1/2 gallon left fill that with distilled water then you will have a gallon to use. When you are ready to do your repairs get a clean bucket drain it down do the fix and reuse coolant. You need a 50/50 mix.
2 stroker
Old 03-30-2012, 12:42 PM
War is the answer!

Not just water, distilled water. Dont keep tap, well or any other faucet Watter in your cooling system other than for the flush.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
You wont need to flush it again. How long have you had the coolant filter on?
I have had the coolant filter on for about 3 weeks or more. So probably around 1K miles. I am planning on changing the filter possibly before the flush and definitely after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
Hope you have the coolant filter in place for a few k and do not run a lesser concentration in the cooling system add 3 1/2 gallons of CAT EC-1 ELC coolant then you will have a 1/2 gallon left fill that with distilled water then you will have a gallon to use. When you are ready to do your repairs get a clean bucket drain it down do the fix and reuse coolant. You need a 50/50 mix.
2 stroker
I bought the restore and restore plus today but the only thing any of the Cummins or international dealers sell around here is 50/50. Im going to napa on Monday, hopefully they have some.

The only reason this came up is my dad thought we may have to drain alot for the delete and oil cooler but either way it should be reusable. Im thinking of filtering it as I pour it back in to the degas as an extra precaution.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:29 PM
War is the answer!

You should have run it for about 7000 miles before you replaced your oil cooler. You might had clogged your new oil cooler. You might try a reverse flush like this weekend.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
You should have run it for about 7000 miles before you replaced your oil cooler. You might had clogged your new oil cooler. You might try a reverse flush like this weekend.
Well I havent replaced it yet, we are planning on doing the oil cooler and egr delete next weekend

I need to do something asap though. Im seeing deltas sometimes of 35 almost 40 on the highway at 65-70mph In town it gets up to 20 sometimes. Not sure how she hasnt blown the egr yet. Should I do just the egr and flush this upcoming weekend and save the oil cooler for a little later?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmtnbiker View Post
Well I havent replaced it yet, we are planning on doing the oil cooler and egr delete next weekend

I need to do something asap though. Im seeing deltas sometimes of 35 almost 40 on the highway at 65-70mph In town it gets up to 20 sometimes. Not sure how she hasnt blown the egr yet. Should I do just the egr and flush this upcoming weekend and save the oil cooler for a little later?
After you do the distilled water flush and before the Restore flush turn off the valves to the coolant filter then after you fill with ELC coolant turn on the valves don't waste a filter. The egr cooler is not the problem, it's the oil cooler but the egr cooler is the one that blows it will be a waste of time just to do the one. Don't push it tell you get it fixed.
2 stroker
Old 03-31-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
After you do the distilled water flush and before the Restore flush turn off the valves to the coolant filter then after you fill with ELC coolant turn on the valves don't waste a filter. The egr cooler is not the problem, it's the oil cooler but the egr cooler is the one that blows it will be a waste of time just to do the one. Don't push it tell you get it fixed.
2 stroker
I know it all starts because the cooler gets clogged and the egr is robbed of coolant and it flash boils then ruptures.

I have been pretty easy on it since i bought it a few months back, knowing it didnt have studs or an egr delete. I will definitely turn the filter off, good idea

I guess ill just flush it and keep running a filter and see what happens hopefully i wont need to do it again.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 AM

So what's going to happen if I can only flush my coolant on Friday, the day I was planning on starting on the egr delete and oil cooler?

No one has any ec1 concentrate and has to order it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.