Flushing Question - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
To dilute the tap water left in your cooling system, you have to flush it 7-8 times with distilled.
The math:
After the first flush using distilled, you will have about 50% tap water in the cooling system. (assumes 50% of total capacity drained at each flush, YMMV)
The second, you will have 25%
The third, 12.5%
The fourth, 6.25%
The Fifth, 3.12%
The sixth, 1.6%
The seventh, 0.8%
The eighth, 0.4%..and on it goes.
I used about 40-45 gallons of distilled water to do all of the flushes I had to do.
Yes, that is an awful lot of water, but I looked at it like this: If I drop 50 bucks for the distilled water, I didn't have to worry what could be lurking in the tap water or if I got whatever was in the tap water diluted enough to not cause a problem later.
At that point, 50 bucks was cheap insurance.
That makes sense. I probably should have bought more, she's currently coolantless in the drive way right now. Our hose water that we are using for this flush is well water run through a filter and a water softener. So I'm pretty sure its real clean, granted its not distilled but I guess we will see what happens.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 03:53 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well water is worse than tap water. I hope.gov didn't let it sit over night with nothing in the coolant system.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
Well water is worse than tap water. I hope.gov didn't let it sit over night with nothing in the coolant system.
Oh ship, I did what can of problems did I just open up? I have not done the restore or restore plus flushes yet...

Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 AM
War is the answer!

It causes a "baking" effect. Which is the drying out of the cooling system which causes all the deposits to cake onto the side walls making it way harder to get out. It also causes the system to rust.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
It cussed a "baking" effect. Which is the drying out of the cooling.Ayden and then all the deposits cake onto the side walls making it way harder to get out. It also causes the system to rust.
Awesome...

Well its full of water right now, I have class this morning so I won't get to start till after 12. Should i run a tad higher concentration of restore and restore plus to make sure I got it all? Or just run it for 90 minutes with each cleaner instead of 60?

If it helps any, I have not drained the block yet, I only pulled the plug on the radiator.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:31 AM
War is the answer!

That wouldn't really change anything. You don't want to have those chemicals in the system for more than 3 hours total so no.dont exceed the recommended time intervals. And how you could put more than have restore and restore + I don't believe you would benefit anything from it. I would recommend a reverse flush after the normal flush just to clean out the oil cooler. Unless your replacing. If you do the reverse flush then you could use.the extra chemical to do that.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
That wouldn't really change anything. You don't want to have those chemicals in the system for more than 3 hours total so no.dont exceed the recommended time intervals. And how you could put more than have restore and restore + I don't believe you would benefit anything from it. I would recommend a reverse flush after the normal flush just to clean out the oil cooler. Unless your replacing. If you do the reverse flush then you could use.the extra chemical to do that.
I am replacing the oil cooler this weekend as well. I plan to flush drive alot of miles and then do my egr and cooler.

However, this crap just keeps getting worse, I had to drive my truck with just water in it to class and back because my carpool buddy screwed me over and didn't wake up. So I've probably got one effed up cooling system right now huh?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Just make sure it doesn't overheat on just water coming home... watch those temps!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 AM
War is the answer!

I wouldn't worry about it too much just make sure you do a good flush with the restore and restore+. After don't stop.flushing until it is clear water coming back out and then test your PH to make sure it's at 7. That's how you will know for sure your cooling system is good to go. Don't leave the water in there beyond today as if it starts to rust in there it will start pitting.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
Just make sure it doesn't overheat on just water coming home... watch those temps!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

I still had the thermostat out from the beginning flush last night so both temps actually ran 20 degrees cooler...

I definitely watched my cts like a hawk and have been during the flush too lol.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it too much just make sure you do a good flush with the restore and restore+. After don't stop.flushing until it is clear water coming back out and then test your PH to make sure it's at 7. That's how you will know for sure your cooling system is good to go. Don't leave the water in there beyond today as if it starts to rust in there it will start pitting.
I'm already draining the restore plus. I drove an hour on each the restore and restore plus. I will be flushing 5 times now to make sure i got it all

Almost had a bad day, my block plug stuck its self near the oil pan and I thought I lost it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.