Flushing Question - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmtnbiker View Post
So what's going to happen if I can only flush my coolant on Friday, the day I was planning on starting on the egr delete and oil cooler?

No one has any ec1 concentrate and has to order it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
You must have a Cummins, International, truck shop repair.
You don't want to leave water in there because it will start to RUST then down the road the coolant will be red on it's own. Go to napa and get this
NAPA AUTO PARTS
There are many modern Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolants specifically designed for diesels. Delo ELC, Rotella ELC, International's Fleetrite ELC, CAT ELC, Mobil 1 ELC, and a host of others. They will address diesel cavitatation, provide superior metal corrosion protection, provide better heat transfer, require no testing and maintenance, be free of harmful abrasive silicates, borates, and phosphates, and have an operating life up to 1 million miles (Delo ELC). In fact International, who made your engine, recommends and factory-fills with these Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolants (Fleetrite ELC/Shell Rotella ELC). And in fact almost all heavy duty diesel manufacturers use Heavy Duty ELC's meeting the most strict requirements in the industry...Caterpillar's EC-1.
2 stroker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
So what's going to happen if I can only flush my coolant on Friday, the day I was planning on starting on the egr delete and oil cooler?

No one has any ec1 concentrate and has to order it.

You might clog your new oil cooler because if you flush and RIGHT AWAY change the oil cooler you still might have some crap left in the system that will eventually go through and get stuck in the NEW oil cooler...

I suggest flushing and driving a couple days to clean the system completely before starting the oil cooler job
Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
You might clog your new oil cooler because if you flush and RIGHT AWAY change the oil cooler you still might have some crap left in the system that will eventually go through and get stuck in the NEW oil cooler...

I suggest flushing and driving a couple days to clean the system completely before starting the oil cooler job
Alright, at this point then ill go pick it up from napa as soon as they get it and come home and flush immediately. After flushing I guess ill drive all over town and put as many miles on as possible before I start the swap. I would sure hate to clog it and drop another $300+ to do it again. I was hoping to have the whole weekend to work on it but I can always hitch a tide to work Monday if its not done yet

Should have been more proactive with the coolant, thought it was common enough people stocked it, I was wrong, no one round here seems to even know what it is

Old 04-05-2012, 02:29 PM

How many gallons of distilled water are really needed? Do I have to do each flush with distilled water or can I just do one or two rinses before I but in the ELC?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A lot. The resin is because you have to make sure all of the restore is out of the system. You need to test with PH strips to make sure it's right and then you add the 3.5 gallons of an ex rated elc coolant. This is all done this way so you know you have the correct mixture.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
How many gallons of distilled water are really needed? Do I have to do each flush with distilled water or can I just do one or two rinses before I but in the ELC?

I think i bought about 30 gallons

It's ok to flush a bunch of times with tap water and then just do two- three flushes with tap water to clean all that tap water out of there...
Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
I think i bought about 30 gallons

It's ok to flush a bunch of times with tap water and then just do two- three flushes with tap water to clean all that tap water out of there...
Holy piss... thats a lot of water lol.

Thats what my plan is, I bought enough water to flush it twice. Dont you mean distilled :

Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 PM

I used 48 gallons 2 flushes to ditch the Gold 5 flushes for the Restore 6 flushes for the Restore+ till i had a 7.0
2 stroker
Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
I used 48 gallons 2 flushes to ditch the Gold 5 flushes for the Restore 6 flushes for the Restore+ till i had a 7.0
2 stroker
Wow, I bet your cooling system is as clean as clean can get... 48 gallons is a just a little bit of water.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 PM
information regurgitator

To dilute the tap water left in your cooling system, you have to flush it 7-8 times with distilled.
The math:
After the first flush using distilled, you will have about 50% tap water in the cooling system. (assumes 50% of total capacity drained at each flush, YMMV)
The second, you will have 25%
The third, 12.5%
The fourth, 6.25%
The Fifth, 3.12%
The sixth, 1.6%
The seventh, 0.8%
The eighth, 0.4%..and on it goes.
I used about 40-45 gallons of distilled water to do all of the flushes I had to do.
Yes, that is an awful lot of water, but I looked at it like this: If I drop 50 bucks for the distilled water, I didn't have to worry what could be lurking in the tap water or if I got whatever was in the tap water diluted enough to not cause a problem later.
At that point, 50 bucks was cheap insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.