EGR Delete Snag - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Delete Snag

So as the title says i am deleting the EGR cooler. I got one of the Dicad kits and I am putting it on right now and the problem I am having is that the tube that redirects the coolant flow from the intake back to the top plate of the oil cooler assembly fits in the bottom of the intake really loose. The o-ring is on there but I just really feel like this will not seal up very well. Does anybody know how tight that fitting should slip into the bottom of the intake? I am really stuck here and I don't want to put it all back together just to take it apart again cause of a crappy fitting. Any help sure would be appreciated. Thanks.
Nigel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Any update? I have the same kit and I am doing the work this week.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM

When I did mine, the o-ringed fitting would move in the manifold even after bolting the clamp on. That was 20k miles ago. It never leaked. Make sure you position the hose clamps on the rubber hose so that you can get to them with all the stuff bolted back on top of the motor. Those clamps came loose 20k later and did leak a little. I just took a long screw stick and tightened them and now no leak.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 AM

Did you pull the intake or just loosen it?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 AM

I had to pull mine because it's an early 04 with the round cooler and the cross-over casting at the back of the intake. The round cooler would not just slip out. Better to pull it anyways then you can inspect the intake gaskets and a lot easier to work on the up-pipe with nothing in the way on top of the motor.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I got her done and buttoned up and so far no leaks that I can see but time will tell I guess. I did not use the oring that came with the kit. I reused the oring off of the EGR cooler and it fit much more like the EGR Cooler fitting so I went with it. Comparing the two orings there is a VERY slight difference in size. The oring that came with the kit is actually the same size as I found in my harbor frieght oring kit. Anyways, I did remove my entire intake. I was very paranoid about breaking something so I figured a little extra time would be worth it. The only thing that I am having an issue with now is my boost pressure is down about 5 PSI and I think I may be leaking from the turbo drain line. I am going to search on here to see what I can find on that. If I have to take the whole damn thing apart again then I am going to be parking on cardboard for a little while. I don't have the will or patience right now to deal with it.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMuscle View Post
The only thing that I am having an issue with now is my boost pressure is down about 5 PSI
My early 04 didn't have that problem but my friends 06 did after the same delete kit. This was before he loaded a EGR off tune with his SCT. I think for some reason on 05 up trucks, they won't boost as much b/c of the lack of EGR flow and how its associated with how the VGT works. I've also read a lot on here about not boosting as much after a delete only on 05 up trucks.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Well, I'm getting after this job very soon. I'm going to try to leave the intake on for the most part...I guess it just needs to be lifted 1/2" and the cooler will slide out.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:39 PM

Good luck. I didn't need much that was special and I just went slow. It is actually pretty straight forward. The shear height of the truck was the hardest part IMO. If I was working on a regular car/truck at about waist level it would have been SO MUCH easier......I reloaded my Looney file thinking the same thing about boost pressure but it didn't change and she smokes a bit at WOT due to the turbo not lighting like it should. i think I may have an exhaust leak but I'll be darned if I can't find it. I will let you know what I find. Please let me know how it goes for you since you are doing the same kit.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
From what I understand, it is normal for your to lose boost after an egr delete. The gasses and air that flows from the manifold through the egr cooler and to your intake will have some pressure to it thus adding psi to your intake pressure. its like blowing through a straw, slightly restrict one side (the egr valve in this case) and wah la, you have some pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.