Issues with MKM Customs/Sinister Diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Issues with MKM Customs/Sinister Diesel

Hi there all,

Let me start by saying I am new here and if this is the wrong place to put this please let me know. Thanks Mods!

I have an issue here and want some other folks input if I can. Back in March 7th of this year I purchased an SCT X3 from MKM Customs a.k.a. Sinister Diesel with 3 custom tunes for my '03 PSD. I live in California about 100 miles from their location so I had the unit in my hands the following day and immediately read the strategy from my truck and ordered the new tunes. During the order process I stated that I had oversized tires and SCT had told me that I can not adjust that with the flash device so the tuning company must compensate for that. Mike there at MKM said that would not be a problem and I should have my tunes in 3 business days. That was March 8th.

On March 13th so I was a happy camper and loaded up the performance tune. The tune made a nice difference I am am reasonably happy with the performance. But then I noticed the speedo seemed to be off so I checked it against my Navi and my phone GPS and when the speedo reads 65MPH I am actually doing 71MPH so I instantly send an email and call Mike and left a message. I have since called 5 times and spoke to Mike a few of those times and I have been getting the run around about how busy they are over there and he will get to it, I am the first on the list and they are sorry.

Today as I type this it is nearly 9PM my time on March 27th, or 20 days after the order. How hard is it to change the speedo parameter? Should I be requesting a partial refund for the unfinished tunes and go with another tuner? The biggest reason I bought a tuner was to correct the speedo. How long is too long? Has anyone here had issues with this company? It is sad that they are jerking me around because I had planed on spending a lot more money with them for EGR delete and bullet proofing this PSD but I am certainly not going to now!

Sorry for the long post and thank you all for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 PM

I am pretty sure you can set the tire revs per mile with the X3. That should fix your speedo and odometer. Hopefully others will chime in. It took a while to get my tunes from MKM and I was a little disappointed, mainly b/c I was impatient. But they are pretty good tunes in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
I've had good luck with MKM, they are great. Mikes kinda hard to get ahold of it seems. Takes forever to email back. But anyway. Go with a different tuner. MKM tunes are a joke to me. When I got my custom tunes from them there was things they weren't capable of doing to make my tunes right/how I want them. He basically told me it was impossible. Go with Matt, or Erics tunes world of diffrence. Don't waste your time with mkm's tuning. Sinse the tunes are "free" with a x3 don't see any refund possible but

MKM tunes run no different then canned SCT tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM

Rev/mile don't change your speedo. Just the shifting

Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

what year truck do you have i know on certain year trucks you cant change that!! try ford dealer
Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003kingranch View Post
Rev/mile don't change your speedo. Just the shifting
I was wrong , always good info on here though. Someone usually has the answer. MKM are good for what they are, but as said, not the best. Better get the SRL from Matt. I would say it's most popular and for very good reason.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 PM

Hey King Ranch, Who are Matt and Eric? I may have to check them out. As for the tunes being free, well there are a few other companies that offer "free" tunes with the Xcal so I could always just send the whole thing back. Brian over there and I spoke about that before I purchased from them.

ARS5147- I was told that the '03-'04 PSD could not be corrected with the flash device itself and that was from a tech at SCT. He told me that who ever write me a tune will have to compensate for that and they can do it no problem. Something I asked Mike at MKM and he confirmed for me upon ordering.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Thanks again guys..... I just found a poll about tunes so I will filter through there for a while and see what people are thinking about their tunes.

Last edited by BlueBayou; 03-27-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
Hey King Ranch, Who are Matt and Eric? I may have to check them out. As for the tunes being free, well there are a few other companies that offer "free" tunes with the Xcal so I could always just send the whole thing back. Brian over there and I spoke about that before I purchased from them.

ARS5147- I was told that the '03-'04 PSD could not be corrected with the flash device itself and that was from a tech at SCT. He told me that who ever write me a tune will have to compensate for that and they can do it no problem. Something I asked Mike at MKM and he confirmed for me upon ordering.
Matt-
matt@gearheadautomotiveperformance.com

Eric writes tunes at innovative diesel.

Matt's Srl tune is amazing.

I guess you could see if you could get a refund for the whole works

Old 03-27-2012, 08:22 PM

Matt is at Gearhead Automotive. Great tunes and great service.

Gearhead Automotive Performance

Eric is at IDP

Innovative Diesel Performance

Look up Quicktricks Auto too, Vivian makes great tunes and has hands down the best customer service out there.

Welcome to Quick Tricks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.