loss of mpg pulling empty trailer too much? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
loss of mpg pulling empty trailer too much?

Hey guys, I am wondering if my engine is just getting tired and time for a rebuild. My 2wd 05 cc swb gets 20 mpg at 65 empty no trailer. I have a small 7x14 single axle trailer I just bought and pulled it home and my MPG WENT DOWN TO 12 MPG!

I repacked the wheel bearings just to know they were in good shape. This trailer is a flat bed open trailer probabley weighs 1000 pds. This truck should not even know it is back there. Why the dramatic mpg loss? Any advise or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

I forgot to mention that my truck is running great. Not burning oil or running badly or weak. It has plenty of power so I am at a loss of why it takes so much fuel to pull an empty trailer.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Any recent service on the truck??
Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Does the trailer have one of those fold down rear gate/ramps?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman05f250 View Post
Hey guys, I am wondering if my engine is just getting tired and time for a rebuild. My 2wd 05 cc swb gets 20 mpg at 65 empty no trailer. I have a small 7x14 single axle trailer I just bought and pulled it home and my MPG WENT DOWN TO 12 MPG!

I repacked the wheel bearings just to know they were in good shape. This trailer is a flat bed open trailer probabley weighs 1000 pds. This truck should not even know it is back there. Why the dramatic mpg loss? Any advise or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
My experience is that it doesnt matter much how much the trailer weighs, but you are still pulling a brick.. no aerodynamics... I am assuming its an enclosed trailer?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 AM

Hell, with my small flat bed trailer, (About 1200 empty) and 1000 lbs of motorcycles, I got 18 mpg traveling a combination of mountain roads and Highway in West Virginia with my 6.0!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 AM

Seems like a high drop. I get about 16 pulling a 16' fishing boat with a 40hp motor and all the gear and beer.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

Question

I bought the trailer to carry my 2 harleys. I decided to start trailering them because of some leg problems that make long rides a thing of the past. My wife and I are day trippers on the bikes anymore.

I had the EGR and Oil cooler replaced last year. I have not had any issues since the work was done. I change oil every 5k religously and it was flushed correctly after the work was completed. I get a very decent 20 to 22 mpg cruising interstate at 65(it seems my truck likes 65 better than 70 for mpg). The trailer is an open flat bed with the tall ramp gate with wire mesh so it seems that would allow air to pass thru (my thinking when I bought this trailer anyway).

The loss of 20mpg to 12mpg seems extreme. The trailer tracks true and I have packed bearings so no issues there. If I am getting 12mpg empty I am scared of what I will see when I load 2 fullsize bikes on it.

What is crazy is I pull a 40 ft 5er and get 10 or 11mpg and that weighs 14K.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is a huge drop, but I don't think that mesh ramp passes as much air thru it as you would think at that speed. At least that has been my experience. Or maybe you have not pulled it enough to get an accurate read.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman05f250 View Post
I bought the trailer to carry my 2 harleys. I decided to start trailering them because of some leg problems that make long rides a thing of the past. My wife and I are day trippers on the bikes anymore.

I had the EGR and Oil cooler replaced last year. I have not had any issues since the work was done. I change oil every 5k religously and it was flushed correctly after the work was completed. I get a very decent 20 to 22 mpg cruising interstate at 65(it seems my truck likes 65 better than 70 for mpg). The trailer is an open flat bed with the tall ramp gate with wire mesh so it seems that would allow air to pass thru (my thinking when I bought this trailer anyway).

The loss of 20mpg to 12mpg seems extreme. The trailer tracks true and I have packed bearings so no issues there. If I am getting 12mpg empty I am scared of what I will see when I load 2 fullsize bikes on it.

What is crazy is I pull a 40 ft 5er and get 10 or 11mpg and that weighs
14K.
That rig sounds almost like mine, I have a mesh gate on the trailer too, same mods to the engine, stock tune, stock exhaust, tires stock size. And yes, my best on an unloaded cruise truck alone 65-70 mph, was 22 mpg. Something doesn't sound right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.