new powersteering pump where do seals go? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 06:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new powersteering pump where do seals go?

Hey guys,

Just put in a new motorcraft ps pump in my truck, very happy my brakes and steering are back

Problem is the pump came with two seals, one teflon and one rubber o-ring, I couldn't figure out where they go(I'm assuming one has to do with the pressure line) so I just installed the pressure line into the pump without either seal and ofcourse it is leaking a little out of where it threads into the pump body

Can someone give my a hand here? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Manchild

I just got the pump in mail but didnt install. the included instructions said if the hoses are more than 2yrs old they should be replaced due to inside corrosion which can rouen new pump. So, im tackling that tomorrow. it came with no seals tho. just pump, pully and instructions from Tousley. pully was extra. doing new belt at same time. I have a thing about putting old parts back on. Going back with Amsol synthetic fluid as well. as usual turned into a biger job than i thought...

sent from iPhone using Autoguide App
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 AM

Maybe ill look into replacing the pressure hose today, ford wanted like 150 for the stupid hose, ill ty napa, I replaced my belt this last november when I replaced the pump the forst time but it was faulty out of the box
Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Manchild

yeah, just put off project due to cost of hoses. wife (CFO) cut my budget when the bill came in for a years worth of filters. I havent even checked but Tousley Ford will send parts to forum members for 10% over cost. i talk to Jack there and he hooks me up every time. Great service if you can wait a couple days. i need to crawl under truck and see what its gonna take. im not putting on pump without changing hoses. let me know how it goes.

Mine is making that common power steering whine when turning. im assuming its the pump. breaks work fine. i changed out fluids about 50kmi ago and it was all good then.

whats yours doing?

Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAG6.0 View Post
yeah, just put off project due to cost of hoses. wife (CFO) cut my budget when the bill came in for a years worth of filters. I havent even checked but Tousley Ford will send parts to forum members for 10% over cost. i talk to Jack there and he hooks me up every time. Great service if you can wait a couple days. i need to crawl under truck and see what its gonna take. im not putting on pump without changing hoses. let me know how it goes.

Mine is making that common power steering whine when turning. im assuming its the pump. breaks work fine. i changed out fluids about 50kmi ago and it was all good then.

whats yours doing?

Well replacing the pump itself is easy but time consuming, I used my original pulley both times replacing the pumps

My original pump wouldn't let me turn the wheels at a stop which is why I decided to tackle that back in november when I did my belt aswell, so I swapped it with one from advance autoparts, still had the same problem but over the months started losing my brake pressure, I thought it was a bad master but finally got fed up with the same steering issues and noise so replaced it with a ford pump this time and voila brakes are back and I can turn with my finger I'm happier than a pig in **** lol

Some things I did was only reinstalled 3 of the 4 bolts, although some years only have 3 bolts installed even though there are 4 holes, but I skipped the one to the right of the high pressure line, also make sure you use a press to put on the pulley, the back of these pump housings are very thin and the simple smack it on with a hammer wont apply because you WILL smash the shaft through the back of the housing, in my case I just used a simple 8mm long shank bolt, washer and nut and pushed mine on, I also fabricated a special 18mm wrench to take off the pressure line because its pretty tight under the truck, also I pulled the top of the truck apart to make it easier replaceing even though some things I removed from up top and some removed from underneath

Good luck man, and you will get atf on yourself(atleast I did lol) gotta love that farty smell of that hydraulic fluid
Old 03-27-2012, 11:37 AM

bump

I have a feeling the swivel 90* fitting that threads into the pump body has a o ring inside of it, thats what is leaking on my system right now.

can anyone confirm this?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
no, that is where the white teflon o-ring goes. it slides over the threads and sits on the fitting, the old ones usually shred and deteriorate while your loosening the fitting.

no idea where the normal looking o-ring would go. there are a couple that go into the lines on the steering box but that's about it.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
no, that is where the white teflon o-ring goes. it slides over the threads and sits on the fitting, the old ones usually shred and deteriorate while your loosening the fitting.

no idea where the normal looking o-ring would go. there are a couple that go into the lines on the steering box but that's about it.
Ahhhh I see, I actually thought thats where it might go but when I tried to slip it over the threads it just felt too tight and I didnt want to break the oring

i'm thinking about just replacing the pressure hose, ford wants roughly $145 for it but advance auto has them for sale at around $25, pretty big difference I'm wondering if the aftermarket one is a POS dont have the money to spend $150 on a house right now were in the middle of a move,

I think I'm going to pull the pressure hose off and blow some air through it, if no chunks of mystery material come flying out I'm going to put the seal on and reinstall.

but another question now, the pressure hose runs up to a jumper fitting that on the other end connects directly to the hydro boost unit.

Is there a teflon seal that goes on BOTH ends of the pressure hose? I have a few of these teflon seals in the same size but want to make sure before I render my daily driver incapacitated, I dont want to have to walk to the store (wouldnt be the first time )
Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM

alright I took the fitting back off at the pump body and put the teflon oring on, got it all back together saw a bunch of debri in the ps pump reservoir

so I put an inline hydraulic filter on the hydroboost return line to the pump reservoir, it was fenco brand PN #2210, anyone have comments on this filter?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
no idea about the filter but you are right about the upper adapter, it gets a white teflon o-ring also if you end up taking it off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.