QUICK kpop-oil cooler question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
QUICK kpop-oil cooler question

03 195,000 just changed 8 inj, oil cooler, blue spring, turbo drain tube. Just got everything back together, but I don't have any oil on hand to refill hpop reservior that I drained when changing oil cooler. Will it hurt anything to let it crank till it builds up oil pressure, didn't want to do that but its a long way to go for just a quart of oil. I have T-6 in it but I've got some 15-40 rotella T. Is it better to add a quart of 15-40 or just let it wind till it builds oil pressure enough to crank. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sorry bout that it is HPOP not KPOP
Old 03-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

I believe that if you just fill the engine from the filter hole instead of the oil filler neck on the VC that it'll drain down to the HPOP and any additional will drain to the crankcase. That's where I fill from during oil changes.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yea, I didn't drain oil from the engine, just took oil out of hpop reservior to clean out and replace screen when I changed the oil cooler. I thought I had extra oil left over from last oil change to refill reservior but I don't, the engine oil pan is still full. I know it will fill the res back up but it will have to crank for a little bit before it does that and builds pressure and that was what I was tryin to avoid.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

In that case, could always just drain out a few quarts into a clean container and then dump that into the oil filter canister.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:38 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You can crank it for a bit. It wont hurt it.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for the info, got 1 y pipe/manifold connection to tighten then I'm gonna fire her up.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:43 PM
information regurgitator

Pull the FICM relay first. Cranking it over like you want to can run the batteries down and then the low voltage can fry your FICM.
If you have another diesel truck that you can use jumper cables on, that may help. If you don't have another rig to help, crank it over for 10-20 seconds and let it rest for a minute and repeat. Charge the batteries if you can hear the engine slow down while cranking. You want those batteries as charged up as you possibly can. After a total of about 3-5 minutes of cranking time, put the FICM relay back in and give it a go (be sure those batteries are at full charge).
Best thing would be to change the oil anyway, and when you go to refill the oil, pour it in through the oil filter housing. As mentioned above, there is an area in the housing that will divert some oil into the HPOP reservoir.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks, I already fired her up, I charged batts just before cranking. Please read the post I just submitted,( I royally screwed up !!!) thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.