EGR valve= Dumbest thing on my 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
EGR valve= Dumbest thing on my 6.0

Well a few weeks ago running WOT with my SRL I noticed my truck would puke. Fast forward a week got a new degas cap. Still didnt help. Well since with the tunes my SRL shuts the EGR valve off I've ran it for a week just stock and today decided to take the valve out and see if it was damp in there. Holy cow! Why would anyone think that putting exhaust/ soot straight back into your intake would be a good idea? I understand the idea, and maybe on a gasser it may not be bad, but wow. Just looking at the bottom of my intake and scraping it with a screwdriver made my sick. As for my findings, I dont know what good can really look like in one of these things but, it wasnt damp, but there did seem to be moisture. I took out a chunk from the bottom of the intake and squeezed it and it just turned to sticky goo. Same for the soot on the valve itself. And being that I live in grand ol California, EGR delete is outta the question. As for my findings what do you all think could be going on? I dont get puking with the truck stock, just a tune and a new degas cap didnt help. Is there anything else I can check to see if its an egr cooler or head bolt problems. ( I wish it was head bots so my warranty could fix it, I have APR's waiting as for unfortunate day).

Last edited by Fox Hunt; 03-24-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 01:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just posted a thread on determining the root cause of coolant loss.

It may help you ........

Troubleshooting coolant loss (white residue around cooling system components(degas))
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
since it only pukes with the tune it only stands to reason that your headgaskets are leaking
Old 03-25-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
since it only pukes with the tune it only stands to reason that your headgaskets are leaking
That makes sense, thanks. Is there a good way to confirm it for sure without it being tuned?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Did you read my link? Testing is the only way to know for absolute sure.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 AM

Ya I did and I will try it out, but since he is a tech I was just wondering if there was something that me might say to do the directly test the headgaskets.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You could always do a sneaky egr delete, remove the actual intake side of the egr, bolt it back up and Weld up the egr cooler and run your tune so on an inspection it would pass the visual
Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Thats what I have right now, I did the same thing as Smokersteve and I left a 1/4in hole in it to keep just enough flow so it wouldnt throw a code (didnt help though). Next time I take it out Im just gonna plug it 100%. I wont do that though til I figure out what my issue is.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:57 AM

If you ever come across a quick and easy way to nail down which it is for sure - please post it up. Lots of folks would like to see that one! As of now, I know quite a few Techs and none will tell you that it can be done for certain without the vacuum / pressure testing. No doubt that some things will give you better indications of one vs the other, but still not 100%. Of course the conservative thing to do is to go after your headgaskets (and address both possibilities).

Last edited by bismic; 03-25-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.