Runaway - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Runaway

How can you prevent a runaway from happening or stop one that is happening? Also, can blue smoke be a turbo seal? i've heard a bad turbo seal can cause a runaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I believe that the only way to stop one is blocking the air or shutting off the fuel. If the runaway is coming from self supplied fuel (ie oil leaking from the turbo) then you must plug the air inlet
Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Only way is to cut off the air. If you have oil leaking by the turbo cutting off the fuel wont do anything. It will run off the oil. If your running down the highway best thing to do is put it in neutral and blow the motor. You can try and turn it off but I would dou t that would do anything.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
Only way is to cut off the air. If you have oil leaking by the turbo cutting off the fuel wont do anything. It will run off the oil. If your running down the highway best thing to do is put it in neutral and blow the motor. You can try and turn it off but I would dou t that would do anything.
"Fuel" can be diesel or oil (or any other carbon source for that matter). My original statement was a general one - you stop runaway diesel engines by stopping EITHER the source of the fuel OR the source of the air (from a purely theoretical perspective though - there is no runaway if there is no fuel supply.). In the case of a "runaway on oil", the oil is the fuel and since it is not really possible to stop that flow, then you have to stop the air. Just clarifying your clarification .............

Last edited by bismic; 03-24-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:08 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
You stop the air.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:37 AM

I think that point has been made - LOL

The statement was made that the ONLY way is to cut off the air. Not entirely true. Drain the oil (fumoto valve) and you can stop it also. Not sayin to do it that way, just being too theoretical I suppose ..........

Last edited by bismic; 03-24-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:47 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
CO2 fire extinguisher
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Bismic I wasnt clairifying anything. I was leaving my own comment. There is no way to drain the oil if your driving the truck.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Serving Our Country!

If equipped with a manual transmission, stall the engine by selecting a high gear and letting out the clutch - with the brake engaged - after ensuring there are no people in the travelled path (usually not a problem when a diesel is in runaway). Obviously an automatic transmission does not have this capabilty.

Mark is right that shutting off the engine will have no effect on either a mechanical or electronic engine as the pressure in the crankcase supplies the engine oil as fuel to the pistons.

Yes blue smoke is a sign of oil in the combustion chamber or the exhaust and not a great thing to see. Overfilling the crankcase is more likely than a failed turbo seal as the intercooler could hold a significant quantity of oil before I imagine sufficient oil mist would provide additional fuel. One nice feature of the electronic monitoring from the PCM is that with unanticipated throttle up condition the engine would likely reduce fuel injection and this alone might avoid the runaway (complete speculation to be honest although I have heard of overspeed idle conditions that could indicate such).

Jonathan
Old 03-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Serving Our Country!

If you get a diesel runaway on the road, you won't likely be driving (for long)...you'll have a plume of smoke from the engine bay.

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.