finally did studs, notes on cab on, gogo, ccv ect - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
finally did studs, notes on cab on, gogo, ccv ect

Finally doing my stud job as my warranty just ran out. There is a ton of writeups and the most helpful post was about half way down the page on this link NYC 350 provided links to PFDs from ford about oil cooler removal etc:

Standpipe And Dummy Plug Replacement

So I am not doing an in depth how to write up, just posting for fun and letting you know my experience.

What i did was (not done) was : ARPs, Gogo intake and egr delete, sinster up pipe, banks intercooler and tubes and elbow, new/updated SCT/ Oil cooler/ Turbo feed/Turbo drain/Standpipes/dummy plugs/ CCV mod

First off, this is an insane amount of work. If i enjoyed my 08 front end conversion more then this job. Im on day four of 10 hour days and still need 4 hours tomorrow before she runs. The only special tool i really had to buy was a new torque wrench capable of ARP specs (200+). I torqued my arps to 230, the instructions say 210, ive seen it written 100 different ways, 230-240 is what most guys are doing.

Bunch of new parts:

Standard, take as much extra stuff off as possible. I am extremely lucky the road armor bumper is such a great platform to stand on, i don't know what i would of done without that

Then start tearing everything in sight out. The PDF for oil cooler removal is a great place to start. I searched and read tons of "how to" posts the night prior, so nothing was unexpected.

For the SCT i searched and found great how to videos on youtube: Here is the new SCT installed:

Valve covers ready to come off:

First after valve covers off i did new Standpipes

OK, to those that think the driver side studs are difficult, i thought the passenger side was worse. Maybe i was prepared for the drivers side since so many people address it in there posts, where you have to dent the firewall. I was unprepared for the passenger side. I do not know how all the guys do in cab studs. Anyway I pulled the cover off the AC evap, then carefully removed it and tied it out of the way. Seen this in a couple posts and Dee004 did this with success just days before i attempted. plenty of room once done:

Driver's side was standard. many writups. lift it up, zip tie, cut in half, remove, dent cab, install arp. took just a few minutes as i was well prepared from all the forum advice!

Thank god they are in, beautiful ARPs. They take an 11/16 12 point socket, had to go to lowes to get one. i torqued them to 230, it was a ton of work for the click on the torque wrench

intakes compared: Look at all the EGR crap removed, on the inside of the bend, nearly 6 inches of crap is sliced off... very nice

intakes looks great on inside:

OK, this pissed me off. two month wait time on the intake, im ok with. but not using a jig when welding it? WTF...

I had to apply a ton of pressure to get the holes to line up, a ton, the rails warped when he welded them. I used this standard huge pry bar to make it happen.

installed, was way more work then it should of been, but very pretty

My CCV mod. Bought 4 feet of 1" coolant hose, and a intake vent filter from parts store, has 1" male end for standard vent. I made the elbow, routed it below truck and put this filter on the other end, zipped tied inside frame rail

For the intake, bought a 1" pvc plug, glued it and hose clamp, great seal.

More tomorrow, thats it for now. Overall, a ton of work, but now i feel like i know a ton more about my truck then I did previously, and she should tow great when all is said and done. Ill take a pic of all the crud i removed. I love the gogo intake how it completely removes the EGR and the cooler and does not just re-route it.

Last edited by jetjock15; 06-24-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM

Looks great. Thanks for the pics, I'm thinking about tackling my studs one at a time too. Good work

Sent from my HTC Hero S
Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The intake looks awesome in there. Hopefully it performs as good as it looks. Also, props for taking on studs one at a time, it's not the most applauded method. Time will tell but if you didn't have HG problems before, I don't think you will.

Oh, and the pictures....who doesn't love pictures?

Good work
Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM

for the studs i went 170 to attempt to match stock, then 200, then 230, in the order in the ARP instructions.

My truck only has 28k miles, never had performance tune, and I've owned it since new, never puked, never had issue. every case is different, but in my circumstance, I believe I will be fine and have no reason to suspect any problems with my heads or gaskets.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing to my truck if I had the extra sheckles laying around for studs. Even at 120,000 there are no signs of HG problems, so if it ever gets studded before a HG failure, I will do it one by one.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 PM

true, the one at a time method is not ideal, but with as many people doing it as I have read and no one having bad results it is worth a shot
Old 03-22-2012, 02:00 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I feel certain JetJock will feel the difference using the GOGO since he isn't using a tuner yet. Adding a tuner or turbo the difference will be night and day in way it drives.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:36 AM

I got a "studded" aggressive custom tow tune for DP Tuner loaded! between the banks parts im installing : intercooler, tubes, and elbow, and the gogo and tuner, im excited about the results! Told the wife we may take the camper out sat night some!where close just to tow with the setup
Old 03-22-2012, 03:46 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Great jod Jetjock. Glad to see you got it done without the need for the torque adapter. With the AC out of the way sure makes things a hell of alot easier I'm with you the drivers side was a breeze compared to the passenger side with the evaporater in the way. Once I removed mine it was clear sailing. Keep us posted as to how it all works out.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 AM

thanks to you dee004 for the real time help and responses from the forum messages. once i got the ac stuff out of way, i was able to get standard large socket on every arp nut except the drivers rear. that one i had to put the standard short socket on, and it was only gripping about half the threads on nut, but it got the job done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.