does this sound phishy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
does this sound phishy?

Ok so i ordered a new turbo a few weeks ago. I recieve the turbo great. They charged me a 350 dollar core charge for my old one! im ok with that. Well today i get an email saying my core isn't good and they will not refund my money! WTF! Here is what the email said.

Our certified Garrett rebuilder got the core back and unfortunately is it not a core that can be used. The turbo has been completely disassembled and some of the VGT veins on the exhaust housing have snapped off. Unfortunately my hands are tied, we have been charged the core charge and will not be getting a refund for it from them.

Do you want the turbo back? Or should they just scrap it?

For one i disassembled the turbo myself to inspect the exhaust side to see maybe it just needed cleaning. well the fins on the wheel had a few chunks taken out, so i decided it would be wise to just get a new turbo. The vanes were all there, none of them "broken" off. the vanes however did have a few knicks in them, thats it!

What would you guys do in my shoes? I allready told them i want it back and that im upset with this. I also ask what do they consider a "good" core. If my turbo was "good" why the hell would i be buying a new one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

What type of turbo did you buy?? Was it the upgraded Powermax?? Cause the Powermax is "new" so there shouldnt be a core.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 PM

Dang dude that sucks. I would be so pissed! Definitely get your old turbo back so they don't keep your 350 bucks AND use parts from your old turbo to make even more money in the future. I completely agree that a good core doesn't have to be a working turbo. It just means that all parts are there.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM

I got rfurbed 03 turbo! Im f'n pissed! All ther parts were there. It went from my truck, to my work bench, (to inspect) to a box, then off to them! I just understand why the would even say it was bad. Hell if the fins didn't have a few little chunks missing i would of cleaned it up and put it back on the truck!

Oh and to top it off. 2 days after I put this turbo on my truck decided to quit running an hour from home with a trailer behind it. Yeah that tow bill wasn't fun.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Why would you get a new turbo if your would have been good

Sounds fishy to me...

I agree the parts have to be there for a "core" not be in useable condition... there would be no point to get a new turbo then
Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM

I also just emailed garret to find out what they would say a "good" core is. guess im stuck with a sweet "bad" core paper weight now! off to craigslist!! lol j/k
Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
Why would you get a new turbo if your would have been good

Sounds fishy to me...

I agree the parts have to be there for a "core" not be in useable condition... there would be no point to get a new turbo then
my point exactly! just doesnt make any damn sense!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:39 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
how much is it to replace those vaines that are broken? i dont know much about internal turbo parts. if it is less than 350 maybe you could fix it then sell the trubo. or if it is working sell it. I know I would LOVE an 03 turbo for the whistle.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVERO2 View Post
how much is it to replace those vaines that are broken? i dont know much about internal turbo parts. if it is less than 350 maybe you could fix it then sell the trubo. or if it is working sell it. I know I would LOVE an 03 turbo for the whistle.
Not really sure, never even looked into it! They were working but would stick a lil from time to time. Thats why i pulled it in the first place. When i pulled it apart i saw the fins on the wheel had a few chunks missing so i figured i would just replace the whole thing instead of messing with it.

When and if i get it back i will take some detailed pics and make you a deal on it if your interested. Its not going to do me any good sitting around. Thats if you can get parts for it i guess too! lol When it was on my truck it was pushing 20-23 psi in the shape that it is in.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

So I guess the real question is who did you buy it from?? I had heard at one time a company was trying to charge core charges for Powermax, which is a new turbo... That didnt go over very well with the PSD community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.