Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

does this sound phishy?

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  justinmix 
#1 ·
Ok so i ordered a new turbo a few weeks ago. I recieve the turbo great. They charged me a 350 dollar core charge for my old one! im ok with that. Well today i get an email saying my core isn't good and they will not refund my money! WTF! Here is what the email said.

Our certified Garrett rebuilder got the core back and unfortunately is it not a core that can be used. The turbo has been completely disassembled and some of the VGT veins on the exhaust housing have snapped off. Unfortunately my hands are tied, we have been charged the core charge and will not be getting a refund for it from them.

Do you want the turbo back? Or should they just scrap it?

For one i disassembled the turbo myself to inspect the exhaust side to see maybe it just needed cleaning. well the fins on the wheel had a few chunks taken out, so i decided it would be wise to just get a new turbo. The vanes were all there, none of them "broken" off. the vanes however did have a few knicks in them, thats it!

What would you guys do in my shoes? I allready told them i want it back and that im upset with this. I also ask what do they consider a "good" core. If my turbo was "good" why the hell would i be buying a new one?

See less See more
#3 ·
Dang dude that sucks. I would be so pissed! Definitely get your old turbo back so they don't keep your 350 bucks AND use parts from your old turbo to make even more money in the future. I completely agree that a good core doesn't have to be a working turbo. It just means that all parts are there.

#4 ·
I got rfurbed 03 turbo! Im f'n pissed! All ther parts were there. It went from my truck, to my work bench, (to inspect) to a box, then off to them! I just understand why the would even say it was bad. Hell if the fins didn't have a few little chunks missing i would of cleaned it up and put it back on the truck!

Oh and to top it off. 2 days after I put this turbo on my truck decided to quit running an hour from home with a trailer behind it. Yeah that tow bill wasn't fun.

#6 ·
I also just emailed garret to find out what they would say a "good" core is. guess im stuck with a sweet "bad" core paper weight now! off to craigslist!! lol j/k

#8 ·
how much is it to replace those vaines that are broken? i dont know much about internal turbo parts. if it is less than 350 maybe you could fix it then sell the trubo. or if it is working sell it. I know I would LOVE an 03 turbo for the whistle.

#9 ·
Not really sure, never even looked into it! They were working but would stick a lil from time to time. Thats why i pulled it in the first place. When i pulled it apart i saw the fins on the wheel had a few chunks missing so i figured i would just replace the whole thing instead of messing with it.

When and if i get it back i will take some detailed pics and make you a deal on it if your interested. Its not going to do me any good sitting around. Thats if you can get parts for it i guess too! lol When it was on my truck it was pushing 20-23 psi in the shape that it is in.

#10 ·
So I guess the real question is who did you buy it from?? I had heard at one time a company was trying to charge core charges for Powermax, which is a new turbo... That didnt go over very well with the PSD community.

#11 ·
i will let that info out when it comes time. Doing what i can to get the money first! If they don't then i will flame the **** out of them!

#12 ·
latest email response from where i ordered it..

The turbo rebuild consistent of replacing all of the internals of the bearing housing with new Garrett parts, checking the specs, component balancing them and then VSR balancing the whole unit. The only things that aren’t replaced, according to my rep are the VGT vanes. Since those are hard metal parts that can’t technically fail. Those are all removed, cleaned, spec’d and tested before the housing is re-installed to the turbo. Not to mention Garrett doesn’t sell just those vanes separately. The issue with your core is the actual breakage of the vanes.

#13 ·
Yes, but did they sell you a NEW powermax turbo?
IF the answer is YES, then they should not even have charged you a "core charge" in the beginning!

You do not need to tell us the companies name, but please answer my question above so we can help sort this out:thumb:

#14 ·
no! lol i thought i said i got a refurbed stocker! I know better then to give up a core on a new one! :thumb:

#16 ·
That is such bull****. Most turbo cores have atleast one piece that can't be reused anyways.

Ford has a no hastle core return policy. Whatever you saved by buying an aftermarket reman was probably just made up for the core charge back.

#17 ·
yeah i was thinking the same thing. I did email them again asking for pics of the "damage". I also asked who exactly inspects the turbo. I will prolly just get the run around im sure.

#18 ·
Sorry didnt mean to poke at the company... Not my intention to throw people under the bus.

But I guess at this point they should return the turbo back to you, or I guess the core charge is applicable if you agreed to it...

See the real problem is that it is one persons subjective opinion on if it can be rebuilt or not.

#19 ·
being a garret dealer im sure they can get their hands on the vanes.. even if they don't sell them to the general public.

#20 ·
Little update

I got pics and it was indeed damaged in shipping! The little tits that hold the vanes on where broken off. I filed a claim with ups and should be getting 1300 back. Thats the amount I insured it for! It also helped that the lady at the ups store repacked it before shipping! So fingers are crossed that it all comes out! The company in question has been doing great as far as comunitcations with me. When i email them within the hour pretty much i have a response!

#21 ·
Was the turbo disasembled?? I would think if it got dropped the aluminum case would break before the steel tits in the exhaust housing...

Either way good job for getting the insurance!!:thumb:

#22 ·
Yes it was. I had it apart to clean it, then figured it was shot so bought a new one. I figured they were going to take it apart anyway so didn't bother putting it back together. From the pics they sent me you can tell its a fresh break. They are not rusted or coked up or anything!

I emailed everything i was told to by the ups gal! Fingers are crossed that it all goes smooth and i don't get the run around.

#23 ·
Hmm, if the studs in the exhaust housing are broken, or the fins themselves, then I would consider it a non usable core. Now how/where they got broken is a different matter. If you put it back together then it would be almost impossible for them to get damaged it transit.....

I do know that you can get the whole impeller shaft, but not sure on the VGT fins themselves. I have a couple turbos at the shop that I've thought about trying to rebuild but not only is the impellers screwed up but the VGT fins got roughed up in the process. Think I'll just wait and trade them in as cores to Ford when the time comes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.