Just Wanna Rant and share my experiences! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just Wanna Rant and share my experiences!

Well been lurking here for a few months, soaking up as much info as I can.

The beginning of January I traded my 2001 Lariat Supercrew F150 for a 2006 Lariat FX4 F250 CCSB and purchased an aftermarket warranty from the dealer.

Two weeks later I would get a wiff of coolant outside my truck once in awhile, not cool. Took it back in to dealer and mentioned maybe back egr cooler. They kinda laughed at me and asked how I would know. A couple hours later they called me and confirmed the egr cooler was leaking and informed me that my warranty was not even in effect yet. 30 days after purchase? Does not matter they took care of it and replaced the egr cooler, egr valve flushed the cooling system with vc-9? cleaned the turbo and changed the oil.

Two days later I got my Edge Insight installed and coolant temp was in the 170's, bad thermostat so I replaced it and was able to get an accurate read on my temp deltas, 10-12 degrees, not cool.

About this time my Insight started screwing up. It would shut off repeatedly just commuting the 40 mile round trip. to the tune of 6-10 times a day. Called edge and loaded an update on it still same thing. Sent the unit back to Edge a few days later, and back to me a couple days later. Called edge and asked what was done and what was wrong. Nobody could really tell me! One guy said it looked like they replaced a microchip?

Well I ran it about a week after it was returned to me, shutting off all the time before I took it to an automotive electrician. Edge told me the remote start was interferring with it that was previously installed. The tech looked over everything and checked the obd port for voltage drop which is what signals the Insight to power down. Nothing, he told me something was wrong with the monitor.

So I called Edge back told them what I had done and I needed to get to the bottom of this. Finnally got to talk to somebody that knew what was going on and he told me that they had a run of units that had a microchip that was made in taiwan after the tsunami in Japan that would fail in the cold at like anything below 30 degrees. They had replaced it and all I had to do was hook it back to the computer and update it. (Silly Me! Would have been nice to have had someone tell me before all this BS)

Anyway now that the edge is fixed and my temp deltas are more like 20-25 degrees apart I took my truck back to dealer and told them that my oil cooler was plugged. Counter man said How do you know that? so I told him about my temp deltas and he just stood there looking at me funny! I told him to just write it down on the paper for the tech. After arguing with them about why they didnt replace both coolers initially I was on my way with a new oil cooler in my truck.

Im pleased to finally say my deltas are now 5-7 degrees apart.

Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

Doesn't sound like a rant to me. Sounds like an informed diesel truck owner, armed with the proper operational conditions and values expected for regular performance, providing good direction to maintenance personnel for accurate diagnosis and correction of perceived deficiencies. Good for you on sticking with it. Glad your gauges are helping you - great choice to be part of the solution!

Jonathan
Old 03-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hell Ya, Man!!!!! Way to stick to your guns! Informed owner just saved his truck!!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds like you are all broken in.as a 6.0 owner. Welcome to the org. Just be glad you have your warranty. I have had to do all that work to mine by myself.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. Yeah my "bumper to bumper" warranty does not cover the coolers but they said ford picked up the tab.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ford didnt pick up my tab. Who you humping over there?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^^^ No Kidding!!!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
Ford didnt pick up my tab. Who you humping over there?
Lol! Nice!

Not sure what the deal is, the first time I was in the dealership to pick up my truck they said they got my warranty to cover it. Yesterday they said ford did? Didnt matter I didnt have to pay but a 100 deductible. Any time I ask the same question twice I get two different answers. I need to find elsewhere to take my truck. Anyone know who has good diesel mechanics in NE Iowa?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

I strongly encourage the use of the BPD installer locator network to find a good service location.

BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0

You will have knowledgeable and professional service from a BPD installer.

Looks like two are in NE Iowa:
Performance Concepts Iowa
1075 Lyons Ln
Marion IA, 52302
319-373-5321

and

ATC Auto Truck Center
941 66th Ave SW
Cedar Rapids IA, 52404
319-533-0601

Keep on rolling.

Jonathan
Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you! I will have to check them out.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.