Review: Gryphon FICM programmer. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Review: Gryphon FICM programmer.

Technically I guess you can say that the 6.0 can stack tuners. Your able to use a tuner of your choice to program the PCM/TCM, and then use the Gryphon FICM tuner to program the FICM.

The Gryphon FICM tuner from PHP comes pre-loaded with 4 FICM tunes. You get to choose any of the four. Economy, Atlas 40, Atlas 80 and Hercules. Install was pretty straight forward.

Remove FICM relay, cycle key to on, plug in Gryphon to OBDII, follow the on screen instructions (push some buttons and some on/off key cycles), re-install FICM relay. For the first install, it took about 5 minutes from removal of relay to re-installing relay.

Currently I'm running the SCT with SRL++ written for the older/less desirable strategy (VXAP2). So the first FICM tune I loaded up was the Atlas 80. Throttle response was much better while pulling out from idle to easy accelerating, with no smoke.

Cruising down the road, and applying heavy throttle, you can feel a smoother motor, and seat of pants power bump. No smoke.

Cruising down the road and slamming the throttle to WOT, she pulls harder with the Atlas 80 combined with the SRL++. Power increase can be felt by the seat of the pants. Smoke is a different story, running the SRL++ without the Gryphon there is very little smoke, just a light puff then clears up. When running the SRL++ and Atlas 80 while slamming to WOT, the puff of smoke bellows out then cleans up to a light haze.

So next I decided to turn on the water/meth, currently I'm using washer fluid (70/30). I have the settings to come on at 13psi boost, then by 23psi boost its injecting 100%. Cruising down the road and laying on the throttle steady, power was smooth and noticeable, no smoke. Cruising down the road and slamming to WOT, the initial puff of smoke was alot, then cleared up to no smoke, not even a haze.

For those of you who run the SRL tunes, you know what I mean when I say that the SRL tunes are very clean (almost no smoke at all).

I'm very impressed with FICM tuning so far. The nice thing is, the SCT tunes combined with the FICM tunes will give me multiple power combinations. I wish I had the time to try all my SCT tunes combined with the Gryphon FICM programmer, but with a total of 36 SCT tunes (new/old tunes and canned) and the option of 4 FICM tunes it will take me a long time. As time goes on, I'll try different combination.

With camping season right around the corner, I'll be able to use one of my tow tunes combines with the Atlas 40.

Joeshu1000 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Great review, Rich! How much was it all inclusive?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Powerstroke Techie

It's the Gryphon non-CS/CTS for $399 it includes the 4 FICM tunes. Total price with shipping was $413.

But since you live across the country, in that hot @$$ Arizona, shipping would be more! LOL!!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
It's the Gryphon non-CS/CTS for $399 it includes the 4 FICM tunes. Total price with shipping was $413.

But since you live across the country, in that hot @$$ Arizona, shipping would be more! LOL!!
Hmmm, not bad. I will definitely have to consider that. Just have to think up a way to convince the wife!

I knew he could program the CS/CTS with PCM tuning, but didn't know he could put FICM tunes on it. Something else I might have to consider.

Right now, it's been anything BUT hot. It's warmer on the east coast than it has been here for the past several days. The high on Sunday was in the upper 50's!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
This sounds like a better option then buying a swamps/IDP ect... 58v tuned FICM. I'm also curious about the cost. Even if it's more, it would still be worth it. Because you can change tunes.

I'm looking into FICM tuning, since this new tune from IDP I'm running. Is is made for a tuned FICM.

Wonder if it would help the smoke situation, matts tunes just don't smoke, unless you just mash it from 0 boost. My IDP tunes smoke real easy. And a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
So I could send off my cs for FICM tuning ?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

You can get the FICM tunes on a Gryphon with the CS/CTS too right?

BTW it is supposed to hit 80* today, in WI in March
Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Hmmm, not bad. I will definitely have to consider that. Just have to think up a way to convince the wife!

I knew he could program the CS/CTS with PCM tuning, but didn't know he could put FICM tunes on it. Something else I might have to consider.

Right now, it's been anything BUT hot. It's warmer on the east coast than it has been here for the past several days. The high on Sunday was in the upper 50's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
You can get the FICM tunes on a Gryphon with the CS/CTS too right?

BTW it is supposed to hit 80* today, in WI in March
No unfortunately he cant put the FICM tunes on the CS/CTS. If he couldve I wouldve done it already.

He can only do it with the Regular EVO with the gauges.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My programmer is scheduled for delivery Thursday, where is the FICM relay?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
In the under hood fuse box. IIRC its the gray one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.