03 6.0 into an 05, doable or problematic? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
03 6.0 into an 05, doable or problematic?

I need to replace an engine in a 05. I have access to an 03 long block but i am not sure what all needs to be changed. I would appredciate some input, Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
War is the answer!

It has sensors in different spots. Not to mention you would need to swap pcm's aswell. I would say it would be a pain the the a$$. Whatss wrong with you 05?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yea that will be a huge PITA i see 6.0s for good deals all the time on CL, wondering the same as war child what happen
Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 PM

The 05 is dusted, compression on the left bank between 130 and 160, not even going to check the other bank.

Sensors in different spots can be remedied with pigtail extentions etc correct? What would the ecm have to do with it?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
hmmm this is a touchy subject, some say it will work, other's won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Personally I have seen an 05 with an 03 engine installed. I can't say which program or PCM it was running all I know for sure is it had a jumper for the ICP

Me? I wouldn't do it, the 03 isn't a good enough engine overall for me to want to make the swap, you could be swapping in someone elses nightmare. I would wait for atleast an 05 or better yet an 06/07. Everything about an 03 is different, different high pressure pump, front engine cover, cam, pistons, injectors, glowplugs, egr valve, IPR, ICP, you name it and it's been updated
Old 03-20-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
hmmm this is a touchy subject, some say it will work, other's won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Personally I have seen an 05 with an 03 engine installed. I can't say which program or PCM it was running all I know for sure is it had a jumper for the ICP

Me? I wouldn't do it, the 03 isn't a good enough engine overall for me to want to make the swap, you could be swapping in someone elses nightmare. I would wait for atleast an 05 or better yet an 06/07. Everything about an 03 is different, different high pressure pump, front engine cover, cam, pistons, injectors, glowplugs, egr valve, IPR, ICP, you name it and it's been updated
I am not sure why the pcm wouldnt work as is, but i would like to know for sure. If i look at it as a long block exchange where i use everything off of the 05 (turbo intake egr cooler etc) wouldnt it all be basically the same? I would just have to extend the wiring to the RH valve cover for the icp and maybe a different plug end?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if you use all of the electronics(sensors) and harnesses off the 05 then that would be your best shot of having it work okay. At the very least I would swap the front cover and intake manifold. If it was me it'd be getting studs and headgaskets too while it's out.

The ICP sensors from those 2 years are physically different but the connector is the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.