coolant flush help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 01:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant flush help!

hey guys, got a couple of questions before i tackle my cooling system flush. my 07 is running about 10 delta right now at 75 80 mph, much closer around town and idleing. but i know that the time is right to strike or forever regret the inevitable. have a gallon of restore, and a gallon of restore plus, got it from ryder fleet thru my company, very quick service around 27 apiece with shipping. i decided to give the evans coolant a try. i read all the stuff concerning flamablity and the need or not to drill the cap to releive the remaining h2o. still think that it is the most dependable of them all, after all doesnt evans hold the patent on about any and all cooling system coolants. i also have the fumoto valves for the drain plugs. i have enough left over to add the coolant filter, what would all of you guys recommend, and please refresh me about which filter to use and which will not be good. one more question, i plan on flushing the filter on every phase in an effort to save it. think i can. i was going to order the oil cooler cap gasket 3C3Z-9N693-EA which show up as an o ring for about 7 bucks, is this what i am looking for or am i replacing the gasket the two tork screws, hold the cover down with. thanks , this site has been a real savior to those of us fighting the recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 PM
USMC 0311

I think I would hold off in doing your coolant flush until your about ready for a new oil cooler. My reason for that is cause when you do the flush it will loosen up alot of crap in there that is gonna get caught in your oil cooler as a result your deltas are going to grow. So I think I would hold off until you are prepared to do the swap.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Hit or miss man. Some flip over with a full flush when they have a slight delta and it goes away. Some clog. I had a very small delta and it got a bit smaller with my flush. Clearly my cooler was healty before hand tho.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 PM
USMC 0311

Yea that's true but I don't think I would want to risk it unless I was in a position to do the swap if it started to go south after the flush. Just my $.02

Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattc0508 View Post
Yea that's true but I don't think I would want to risk it unless I was in a position to do the swap if it started to go south after the flush. Just my $.02

Exactly the same thoughts I have with my truck. My deltas are borderline and I'm not going to do a flush and change to ELC until right before it gets studded. If it ain't broke, don't fix it in this case.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 AM

thought of that

guess its a chance you take, i plan on flushing the cooler at every phase of the process also. and hopefully the filter will help keep anything loose that is still flowing out of circulation. i think its worth the chance and if the deltas go up it would only be a matter of time before they would anyway, and if thats the case i plan on bulletproofing the system, because the 6.0 really seems to be a great motor,, just fords misapplication in so far as the proper coolant to use.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 AM

The filter is only a bypass. It doesn't actually filter out all of the coolant that is running through the system hence most of what is flushed could potentially go straight back to the cooler and catch it. I know some people have had some luck reverse flushing or something like that. Personally if I was going to do the flush, I would have a shop lined up with available dates to bulletproof it.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 AM

A wise man told this to me and I'll pass it on FWIW:

"If it ain't broke dont fix it; or fix it til it breaks"
Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM

made my decision

like pappy says, if it ain't broke dont fix it, by flushing the cooler for at least 30 minutes every time i hope to eleminate all of the crap, that ain't allready secured itself to the cooler permenately. i certianly understand that the flush with the two seperate cleaners is meant to lossen the crap and hopefully end up out of the system. i am hoping that the info i have read regarding the complete flush process will at least dislodge and drain to the block drains most of the stuff that might be newly lodged in the cooler, and i do understand that it is a by pass filter, but think it should help, from what i have read. one of the questions i still have is with the oil cooler cap gasket, whether it is indeed an o ring or a regular gasket, hate to find out later, and if it is indeed just a gasket, i have much experience in making my own out of gasket material, o ring another matter, at any rate, thanks for all the input keep it coming, and by the way order a filter kit from PMM today and two replacement filters, only 150 and it shipped today, so what ever seemed to be the problem earlier this month has be taken care of, or at least i will let everyone know if that is indeed not the case, should have it in my hands by monday, tuesday at the very latest
Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You can always do a reverse flush. Itss a lot safer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.