Temps look good! What should come next? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Temps look good! What should come next?

Just got my DashBoss in the mail yesterday and after hooking it up and driving in close to 90 degree weather today, I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised that everything looks good! Only a 4* delta between EOT and ECT with stock EGR cooler! Tranny temp looks good and FICM is steady 49-50 volts. Having said all that, what do y'all think I should do next? The truck is bone stock minus the blue fuel spring and monitoring system. I don't tow anything and would LOVE better MPG (I'm lucky to avg 13). Thoughts?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Dump that EGR cooler before it pukes....
Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Theirs plenty you can do. To start off maybe an 4 or 5 inch turbo back exhaust, then a good custom tune and you'll be good to go. I wouldn't mess with deleting the EGR until it starts to get you trouble. I've heard plenty of stores of guys flushing their system with perfectly good EGR Coolers and ending up clogging them up. Just wait till it fails, because it will. Theirs always plenty of things to do, it never ends.$.$.$.$ lol
Old 03-20-2012, 01:28 PM

personally i would delete the egr first. this is a huge weak point, then flush out that old coolant (rebuild cooler as needed). then coolant filter. then exhaust chip etc
Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Coolant filter for 5000 miles then fleetguard flush. Then egr delete.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 PM

yeah, thats a good idea to get that coolant filter on there first, then flush then do the delete (most likely after the flush your cooler will plug).

your going about it right, monitor first then proceed.

it would be best to get the coolant system healthy first and delete that EGR before you start chipping.

Them EGR coolers are no good and have been known to leak coolant into the intake system which in turn creates havoc. lifting heads, overpressurizing the coolant system and putting moisture into the turbo which rusts the vanes and makes them stick.

read this:

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scha0786 View Post
yeah, thats a good idea to get that coolant filter on there first, then flush then do the delete (most likely after the flush your cooler will plug).

your going about it right, monitor first then proceed.

it would be best to get the coolant system healthy first and delete that EGR before you start chipping.

Them EGR coolers are no good and have been known to leak coolant into the intake system which in turn creates havoc. lifting heads, overpressurizing the coolant system and putting moisture into the turbo which rusts the vanes and makes them stick.

read this:

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
In your first sentence you mentioned that after I do the flush, my cooler will likely plug. Which cooler are you referring to and why would it plug?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 AM
USMC 0311

He is referring to your oil cooler. After doing a coolant flush you loosen a lot of crap in the system that will most likely get lodged in the oil cooler plugging it up. This is why you should always be prepared to do an oil cooler replacement after a flush.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Not to sound like an idiot but wouldn't the repeated flushes with hose water remove all of the gunk so it wasn't still present when new coolant is added?
Also, how commonly does this occur?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 AM
USMC 0311

Dont worry about not knowing something I was the same way when I first got my truck, everyone on this site is happy to help someone out if they dont know something.

Even though your flushing out all the coolant as you are doing the flushes it still has to go through the oil cooler so some of the crap your flushing out gets caught in there and wont come out. Now this doesnt always happen but like I said I would be prepared to do the oil cooler swap in the case that it does make your deltas spread more. Another thing, when you do the flush its ok to flush the first couple of times with regular water but before you are ready to put the new coolant in you should completely flush it a couple times with distilled water. The reason for that is cause when you use regular tap water in has minerals and stuff in it that will build up on the inside of your engine and oil cooler. Oh and make sure you dont put the same Ford Gold Coolant back in there. Switch to an CAT EC-1 rated coolant such as CAT ELC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.