FINISHED!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 AM
USMC 0311

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FINISHED!!!

Well just did the oil cooler swap and EGR delete last week. Never again do I want to do that. Some of you guys on here say you can do it in about 10 hours if you have never done it before.... I'm calling BS haha. Worked on it for two solid days with my father-in-law before we finished it and we are both pretty mechanically inclined. Hardest part was taking that dang turbo in and out. I did clean it while it was out and it looked pretty good. I think someone might have had it out before but there was nothing on the Oasis report. Anyway its all done now and no problems thus far with 100+ miles. I left the EGR valve in and left it plugged in too cause I heard it causes problems with the fan clutch if you remove it with out a tuner. So thats the next thing to get. So if anyone has a used SCT tuner for cheap let me know. Oh and I noticed that my Turbo Boost wont go over 21lbs. Anyone have any ideas why that is? All my exhaust pipes are good no leaks and it spools just fine and has power just wont go over 21 and it did before. Also if anyone has questions on how to do it I'll tell ya how I did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have had the same issue with low boost after I did my EGR delete, I'll be curious to see what others say.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think you need the SCT tuner to make it all go back to normal...Are you getting a CEL for insufficient EGR flow?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice work, i'm debating on whether or not to take on the EGR delete myself...
Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 PM
USMC 0311

Yes I have the CEL for insufficient flow. My advice to anyone that is thinking about tackling the delete and cooler swap is to do your research and give yourself plenty of time to do it. Make sure you have a decent place to do the work too. I definitely wouldn't want to have done this parked on the street next to my house. I consider myself a pretty decent mechanic so I decided to do it myself, with the aid of my father in law, and it was still a two day job. Now I'm a bit OCD about making sure everything is is clean and done right so I think that's why I took so long, but on the flip side everything was done right the first time. Oh and I think your right if I get a SCT it will fix the boost problem. I found a thread that mentioned something about that. But of course I can't find it now.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The SCT is not your boost problem. I had done my egr delete a few months ago. finished my oil cooler Saturday and how my boost was up to 34psi after my egr delete it wont go over 25 now. I have a tuner. Makes no difference. My total time on the oil cooler was about 13 hours never touched a diesel before doing the egr delete a few months ago. Its a lot easier to get the turbo out if you take the oil filter housing off first then you can just take out the 4 turbo pedestal bolts and remove the turbo. It wont go back in the same way though.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:16 PM
USMC 0311

So if the tuner didn't fix it did you ever figure out the boost problem?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 PM
War is the answer!

unfortunately no. not yet anyways.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 PM
USMC 0311

Well maybe someone will shed some light on our situation.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 PM
War is the answer!

I would start by checking all your boots and clamps. they might not be tight enough or you could have a hole in one. After that I would check your exhuast fittings and make sure the band clamps are seated properly. This is all on my checklist as well just don't really want to get back in there right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.