New Highway Specific Tires Question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Highway Specific Tires Question.

So I just received a new job offer last week and it is one that will require a lot of traveling with in a region. (Finally some good news for me, sucks being jobless for the past 8months)

The company does not offer a company car, but provides a vehicle allowance. So my current situation would entail me using my truck to travel. I could buy another vehicle but financially that would not be smart at this current time.

So my plan is to make my truck as fuel efficient as possible. Right now it sits on 33s and leveled. but is missing the front lip because of my plow mount.

Today i tried putting the lip back on to help but that didnt work out like planned.

My next step is putting my stock 16" rims back on the truck with either some 285 or 265 highway specific tires to reduce rolling resistance and be quiet and efficient. I also plan on keeping my truck leveled.

I need some help and recommendations on good Highway all season tires, that would be great on the highway, and still be able to be good in the snow for when i plow in the winter. And they have to be E load rated for when I tow and haul.

Appreciate all the help in advanced.

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Toyo M55s.....E rated, actual 10 ply. Great in the snow, average reviews say they last 50K+ miles. And will take a heck of a beating. (not cheap though)

Just IMO. All the Loggers, Ranchers and State forestry rigs run em back home in East Oregon. I recommend 255/85/16, still 33"s with less rolling resistance.

ETA: The M55s accept studs as well.

Last edited by jerg_064; 03-11-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:13 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
BFGs A/T KO 285/75/16. Best tire I have ever owned and they are great on the highway. E rated 10 ply also Q or R speed rated. No road noise at all and great in snow and ice. About $1000 for 4. Www.tirerack.com

Last edited by WarChild; 03-11-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg_064 View Post
Toyo M55s.....E rated, actual 10 ply. Great in the snow, average reviews say they last 50K+ miles. And will take a heck of a beating. (not cheap though)

Just IMO. All the Loggers, Ranchers and State forestry rigs run em back home in East Oregon. I recommend 255/85/16, still 33"s with less rolling resistance.
Thank you. The price isnt so much of an issue. More of the longevity of the tire lasting, how quiet they are on the highway and good all around traction (especially snow) is my main concerns.

There are a couple that i was looking at that seem to meet some or all those items, just looking for all the options and opinions out there before i purchase.

Some I have looked at:
Michelin LTX M/S2
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac (I know super aggressive and not much of a highway type tire, but ive been looking)
Nitto Dura Grappler
Toyo Open Country H/T w/ Tuff Duty
Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

The M55s make a little bit of noise, as they're an all-terrain type tire. Snow, ice and rain is where they excel. I like the 255/85 since the skinnier tire puts more Pounds per square inch down on the contact patch so they grip harder, along with the fact that you can put studs in them. They are pretty smooth on the highway IMO.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM

Ok That works. thats the kind of information im looking for.

Also the truck came with 265/75r16s on it. Im thinking either going with them or 285/75r16. Still kinda want to have that "big/aggressive" stance, i know have to sacrifice size some to get better mileage/road manors, i know i cant have both. But the tire size decision will come after the tire is chosen.

Thank you again.
Jason
Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM

BFG KO A/T tires a great for the highway and snow. I have never used TOYOS but those are also very good. That is all i know
Old 03-11-2012, 04:53 PM

BFG A/T KOs are not e rated tires. They do however have a higher load rating than most e rated tires.

Sent from my LG-P999 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-11-2012, 04:56 PM

You sure that it doesn't make more sense to buy a Ford Fiesta that gets 40mpg?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:13 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
BFGs at kos are definatly E rated. If you buy the E rated ones. If you think otherwise you need to do some homework.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.