Coolent Flush and EGR delete/oil cooler replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 04:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolent Flush and EGR delete/oil cooler replacement

Iím starting the "BIG EVENT" in ten minutes, so start the clock. I have never done this before so let see how long it takes a green horn to complete. I have down loaded and printed all the files, studied the process like Iím working on college finials. Any last minute tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 04:06 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Took me 2 days. Make sure you spray the turbo bolts with pb blaster. If you have any questions post them up. We will help.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:10 AM

Knee pads...or a top side creeper. I'm about 8 hours into mine (over the past week). My knees hurt from trying to get to the up pipe bolts and heat shield. I don't have the room to get a top side creeper in my garage (truck barely fits).

Besides that, take your time and you'll be fine. Spray the exhaust bolts down with knocker loose a couple times before you try to unbolt them.

Only other big issue I've faced is carving out time to work on it. Seems work keeps getting in the way of my garage time.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 AM
War is the answer!

Knocker loose...lol

oh and taking off the passenger side wheel makes getting to the up pipe bolts way easier. Just cut the old ones off.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When removing the old oil from the HPOP reservoir, be sure not to disturb the oil too much. Debris and dirt can be pushed down past a failed HPOP screen. This debris/dirt can get sucked into the IPR during start up and cause a no start or running issues.

When you remove the oil cooler from the motor, take note how much oil is in the HPOP reservoir before you suck out the oil. Then prior to dropping in the new oil cooler, refill the HPOP reservoir with new oil to the same level. This will help get the motor running during initial start up, less cranking. If you choose to skip this step, you may be cranking the motor for about 45min trying to get the air out out the HPOP system.

Take pictures of the intake bolts for there proper location, some bolts have studded tops for heat shield, FICM ground, and wire loom connections.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
Knocker loose...lol

oh and taking off the passenger side wheel makes getting to the up pipe bolts way easier. Just cut the old ones off.
That's the brand I buy...lol For obvious reasons...

Also get a new STC fitting.

I tried the passenger wheel idea, broke my stupid wheel lock key. I've got to order a replacement on Monday... So plan for a little longer just in case. You need that "throw a tool" time to be able to walk off and cuss the car gods.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:09 AM
USMC 0311

I'm right there with ya WTF Stroker. I just finished my flush yesterday and I'm waiting on the oil cooler to come in so I can really get started. I'm just hoping I can get it done pretty quick cause I need the truck next wednesday. Keep posting with your progress.

Subscribed
Old 03-10-2012, 06:13 AM
War is the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMM View Post

I tried the passenger wheel idea, broke my stupid wheel lock key. I've got to order a replacement on Monday... So plan for a little longer just in case. You need that "throw a tool" time to be able to walk off and cuss the car gods.
So true. I cant tell you how manny times my big 6'3" @$$ was on top of the motor and droped a tool or bolt and had to get all the way back down to get it.....life is rough for us big guys. Its a long way to the ground.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
Knocker loose...lol

I will do that. I thought they would be threaded just like my 64 is

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMM View Post

Got one on the work bench

THanks for the help everyone. how much coolent does it hold. Im on my first rince after the restore.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:41 AM

OH and i used one band-aid already. I have to get this done before my deployment so the wife wont have any problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.