EGR questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR questions

ok guys so im stuck on a decision. my truck isnt under warranty anymore so that is not a deciding factor. I dont know if i should go with the upgraded egr or a egr delete. i havent been able to find much as far as a pro vs. con list on either besides that they are both better than stoc of course. Let me know what u guys think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 02:58 AM
Oilfield Trash

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
which state are you in?

delete it. i wouldnt think twice about it....unless you are in calli.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:11 AM

I took mine out...welded up both ends....and left the EGR valve plugged in. Saved me the cost of the kit...and still looks stock. So, one way or another...I'd delete it if I were you.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:17 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
He wants pros vs. cons not I would delete it if I were you.
One pro if you delete it is you coolant isn't getting heated up by your exhuast. Also your intake Aire will be cleaner.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Pros to deleting. If you do full delete kit you will get a new better flowing up pipe to the turbo. Yours actually has a scoop welding in the pipe to force exhaust thru the EGR cooler. You will never have to worry about your EGR cooler ever blowing again, which can lead to extensive engine damage if not caught in time. You won't have to worry about exposing your coolant to 1000 EGT temps on a regular basis. This will be much easier on the coolant and make coolant life much greater. If for some reason your oil cooler plugs up it's not quite as much of an issue, depending on EOT temps, because you won't have an egr cooler there to worry about blowing. No more soot in the intake. You'll never have to put another penny into a crap EGR system that's doing nothing for your truck performance and longevity wise. That's all I can come up with on pros, can't think of one con except that if it's a 06 or later truck you will need a tuner to disable the EGR function, other wise you'll have a CEL.

Ok, pros to a BPD cooler..... It's better then stock and shouldn't blow as easy. And if you go this route you won't need a tuner, but you can still have issues with EGR valves. That's all I can come up with on that option.

Custom diesel EGR delete $150, SCT SF3 tuner, $380, total $530.

BPD cooler $350.

So the BPD cooler is cheaper for now, but probably not in the long run.

Not ever having to worry about a EGR system ever again........? Priceless.

Last edited by justinmix; 03-10-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Premium Member

Cons? There are no cons get a cheap used tuner to deal with the CEL! As long as your state emission laws allow you to delete it.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:38 AM
War is the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
Pros to deleting. If you do full delete kit you will get a new better flowing up pipe to the turbo. Yours actually has a scoop welding in the pipe to force exhaust thru the EGR cooler. You will never have to worry about your EGR cooler ever blowing again, which can lead to extensive engine damage if not caught in time. You won't have to worry about exposing your coolant to 1000 EGT temps on a regular basis. This will be much easier on the coolant and make coolant life much greater. If for some reason your oil cooler plugs up it's not quite as much of an issue, depending on EOT temps, because you won't have an egr cooler there to worry about blowing. No more soot in the intake. You'll never have to put another penny into a crap EGR system that's doing nothing for your truck performance and longevity wise. That's all I can come up with on pros, can't think of one con except that if it's a 06 or later truck you will need a tuner to disable the EGR function, other wise you'll have a CEL.

Ok, pros to a BPD cooler..... It's better then stock and shouldn't blow as easy. And if you go this route you won't need a tuner, but you can still have issues with EGR valves. That's all I can come up with on that option.

Custom diesel EGR delete $150, SCT SF3 tuner, $380, total $530.

BPD cooler $350.

So the BPD cooler is cheaper for now, but probably not in the long run.

Not ever having to worry about a EGR system ever again........? Priceless.
You still have to worry about the oil cooler rupturing but what tep would you need to worry about that? I might start a new thread on that topic.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Yes you do, and I should probably have explained that better, but it's almost a whole other thread topic like you said. It would probably be hotly debated as well. I would start to really get worried if I saw EOT temps getting close to the 220 degree mark on a regular basis. Of course it would depend on how hard your using the truck and other factors but EOT temps getting close to the 220 range aren't the end of the world as long as it's not on a constant basis. That's my opinion on the matter. At that point I would replace the oil cooler EGR cooler or no EGR cooler.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:50 AM
War is the answer!

My eot was 227* everytime I was on the hiway. Fairly oftin. I just did a backflush which broght it down to 207*
Old 03-10-2012, 04:53 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Liberator delete 40000 miles ago. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.