Replacing ball joints - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing ball joints

Over the last couple of weeks I've been able to feel some shake in the front end, especially when turning sharp at low speed. I was suspicious it was the ball joints, and when I recently had the tires rotated, the techs confirmed it. So I took it to a local shop to have the ball joints replaced with Moogs, and I got a call this morning that the slack on the right side is the ball joints, but on the left side, it's the hub and ball joints are still in good shape. That make sense to anyone?

Because it was going to be about $850 to replace 2 joints and the hub or about $1300 to replace all 4 joints and the hub, I told him to just replace the 2 joints on the passenger side and the hub on the driver side but leave the stock ball joints on the driver side. Now I'm wondering if that was the right move...

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You prabably should have had all four done, he's gunna be half way to the joints with just the hub off. And If one side has failed then the otherside is not far behind. I just did all four of my joints at 70,000 miles. I couldn't beleive how much play my driver side had considering the lower milage, the passenger side had little to no play but i did them anyways.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Friend of Dr.Bob

What part is the hub?

I just had all four ball joints replaced. The cost was $1050 including alignment.

If ,while replacing the hub, the ball joints have to be pressed out, you might as well have them replaced instead of installing the old ones back in.

My left side joints had no slop, but I opted replace all four. When one is shot, the other 3 can't be far behind.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the worse I felt about replacing 2 of the 4. Just called and told them to swap all 4 plus the bad hub.

And draboo, I have no clue what the hub is! Anyone care to enlighten the morons amongst us?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:32 AM

He's talking about the unit bearing on the left side. It's a sealed wheel bearing assy.

When I had the ball joints done on the early 99 I didn't do them at the same time right vs left. If the joints are still good then run them till they are worn. Then again, I am not independantly wealthy either so I can be a cheapskate that way. Just can't see changing out perfectly good parts.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Just because a ball joint doesn't have any play doesn't mean nothing is wrong with it. if the joint is dried out and starting to rust it'll wear in no time at all. I don't always replace 4 balljoints at once but I usually try and steer customers in that direction. Once one side is worn the other will usually be right behind it.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Do the new Moog joints have grease fittings? This sealed stuff sucks.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:17 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
Just because a ball joint doesn't have any play doesn't mean nothing is wrong with it. if the joint is dried out and starting to rust it'll wear in no time at all. I don't always replace 4 balljoints at once but I usually try and steer customers in that direction. Once one side is worn the other will usually be right behind it.
I am the same way, also I would take a hard look at the front axle u-joints too, if you are to the point of replacing the ball joints, u-joints are not much more work to replace. Doing it all at the same time gives you piece of mind too knowing that you wont have to mess with the front end for 80k or so.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:24 PM

I replaced the driver side hub replaced last summer. then 2 weeks later it was back in the garage to do the other side plus ball joints. then a month later i replaced the driver side ball joints. lessened learned, should have just done them all at once in one day. also make sure the ball joints they are putting in have grease fittings.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:49 AM

I went 3.5 years and 30k+ miles between left side and right side ball joint changes.

I understand that this is probably not the norm and is the exception.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.