Help! BRAKE SQUEEEEEEAL! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 06:07 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! BRAKE SQUEEEEEEAL!

I can't get my rear brakes to stop squealing during braking. They are Motorcraft rotors and pads that were replaced no more than 7 months ago. I pulled them off and applied the brake lube to the rear of the pads and pins, which quieted them for a week. What gives? How do I get rid of the squeal? New pads? What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've never ran into this on my truck but have ran into this problem on wife's escalade. I used the spray several times and it would go away for awhile then come right back a few weeks later. After several times doing this I noticed the caliper pistons were wearing uneven on pad back so I filed pistons really well and then used the brake lube you put on with a brush and that's been a year ago and no issues. So you may check the pistons?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
My truck did it to in the rear. New rotors new pads. Towing fixed it real quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfanjmcguire View Post
I've never ran into this on my truck but have ran into this problem on wife's escalade. I used the spray several times and it would go away for awhile then come right back a few weeks later. After several times doing this I noticed the caliper pistons were wearing uneven on pad back so I filed pistons really well and then used the brake lube you put on with a brush and that's been a year ago and no issues. So you may check the pistons?
Ok, I'll start there. I used the brush on lubricant as well. I wondef if it might have something to do with the emergency brake drum pads because I did notice some rub marks on the inside of the rotor. Could that have something to do with it?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It very well could but seems weird that your noise is only under braking. The way I was taught that is almost always friction between pad and caliper?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Take the pads off and sand them down with some 80 grit just enough to roughen up the braking surface. They may not have seated right or they could have gotten some contaminates on them.

motorcraft rotors like most rotors come with an anti-rust film on them, they should be cleaned before installing on a vehicle.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
Take the pads off and sand them down with some 80 grit just enough to roughen up the braking surface. They may not have seated right or they could have gotten some contaminates on them.

motorcraft rotors like most rotors come with an anti-rust film on them, they should be cleaned before installing on a vehicle.
Thanks Matt, I'll give it a try!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had this same issue after new pads but it was sand that got into the pad. Sanded them down and all was good.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:48 AM

I'm reviving my thread because I still cannot get rid of the squeal. All 4 pads and rotor were sanded and I re-seated the pads. I'm about ready to chuck these pads and go aftermarket.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Emergency Services

I'm having the same problems, but with different pads and rotors. I think it may be because of my e-brake, since it had exploded in late January and I have yet to install a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.