Tranny out AGAIN..should I swap to a 4r100? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Tranny out AGAIN..should I swap to a 4r100?

So my tranny went out AGAIN...second time in the past month and a half. Ford cheap skated their way around putting in a new tranny and just replaced the drive clutch and a new torque converter. And here we are again only a month and a half later with the tranny out...imagine that.

So now I have some new ideas floating around in my mind..I spoke with John at John Woods Transmission for a little bit today. I told him that I am really contemplating a cummins swap and told him about my transmission problems.

He persuaded me a little to put on of his built 4r100's in my truck rather than build the 5r110(which he said he would do if I wanted). He also said that the 4r100 is a better mate for the cummins if I decide to do that later down the road. I will already have the built tranny so it would less of an expense.

My other idea was to put a built Allison in it for now until I am ready to do the cummins so that I will already have the tranny in there.

I need to do something QUICK..just really not sure which way to go. What do you guys think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5r110>4r100 hands down. It should be nearly indestructible unless your a towhog.
That and you'd only have 4 gears! Who wants that? :p
Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

I will keep my 5r110 any day over the 4r100. If Ford just did it, I would take it back
to them and tell them you want it done right this time, there work should have a
90 day or maybe a 12 mo warrant on it.
Doug
Old 03-09-2012, 03:00 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
I will keep my 5r110 any day over the 4r100. If Ford just did it, I would take it back
to them and tell them you want it done right this time, there work should have a
Doug
Agreed. Make them keep fixing it until they do it right. 12mo/12K warranty on parts at LEAST.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you can get your money back instead of a new tranny, go and get a built one from suncoast, twisted diesel, BTS, or river city. That will take all the abuse your PSDor potential cummins can dish out
Old 03-09-2012, 06:01 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
Doug
Agreed.

That thing should be right back on the lift at the dealer...
Old 03-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy209 View Post
So my tranny went out AGAIN...second time in the past month and a half. Ford cheap skated their way around putting in a new tranny and just replaced the drive clutch and a new torque converter. And here we are again only a month and a half later with the tranny out...imagine that.

So now I have some new ideas floating around in my mind..I spoke with John at John Woods Transmission for a little bit today. I told him that I am really contemplating a cummins swap and told him about my transmission problems.

He persuaded me a little to put on of his built 4r100's in my truck rather than build the 5r110(which he said he would do if I wanted). He also said that the 4r100 is a better mate for the cummins if I decide to do that later down the road. I will already have the built tranny so it would less of an expense.

My other idea was to put a built Allison in it for now until I am ready to do the cummins so that I will already have the tranny in there.

I need to do something QUICK..just really not sure which way to go. What do you guys think.
I don't think you realize that the 5r110 is by far superior to the 4r110, the allison, and the 48re. In other words, if you went with any other transmission, built or not, you would be going backwards with it. Save the $7,000 you will spend on a Cummins swap and build up your 5r110, throw some 190 injectors, an air dog, and a powermax on your 6.0 and you'll have 550 reliable rwhp since your already bullet proofed.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM

And why wouldnt you have gone with the upgraded version from ford that is the heavy duty tranny. My buddy did that with his 06 and hasnt had any problems since he put that heavy duty 5r100 in his truck that he paid 2500 for.
And if anyone can destroy a tranny this guy can, i mean he put 4 4r100 in his 02 7.3 so he puts them thru the courses of torture.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmitchell111 View Post
I don't think you realize that the 5r110 is by far superior to the 4r110, the allison, and the 48re. In other words, if you went with any other transmission, built or not, you would be going backwards with it. Save the $7,000 you will spend on a Cummins swap and build up your 5r110, throw some 190 injectors, an air dog, and a powermax on your 6.0 and you'll have 550 reliable rwhp since your already bullet proofed.
That is actually the route I was going to go except for the fuel system which I was going to replace the whole OEM fuel system with the Elite Diesel stage 2.

I have been running the cummins swap back and forth in my head for a LONG time and am pretty much on the edge. I am just getting tired of having my truck in the shop over and over again. People at work talk a bunch of crap all of the time because they know how much my truck is in the shop. Three guys at work have 2010-2011 Dodge 2500's with the cummins and keep telling me to trade mine in for one. They have had no problems whatsoever with theirs. With that said, I havent had anymore problems engine wise since the last go around of 7k getting the studs, new heads, BPD kit,etc put on. It does feel like something is grinding since they did that but because my tranny has been messed up I dont know whether it is the engine or tranny.

As far as the tranny goes, it was done under the Ford ESP plan, so of course all the did was fixed what they thought was broke at the time, which was a drive clutch and they put a new TC in. They should have just put a complete rebuild in from the start. Either way, I am building it up this time around. I am going to take it back to them today and have them fix it. That will at least get it fixed so that I can drive it to where I decide(John Woods,Etc) to have them build it up.

At this point, I want to get a tranny that will be compatible with the cummins swap if I do decide to go that route down the road. I am not sure how the 5R110 does with a cummins but I know the 4r100 is supposed to be good. The way it was explained to me of why the 4r100 is better than the 5r110 is because the 4r100 doesnt have all of the computers telling it to split the gears. The 5r110 has to split gears between shifts where as the 4r100 just works, 1,2,3,4...no in between. This is what I was told.

And since we are on the subject, who do you guys think builds the most stout tranny with the LEAST problems. I only want to have to do this venture once.

Last edited by armyguy209; 03-09-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3550Duty View Post
And why wouldnt you have gone with the upgraded version from ford that is the heavy duty tranny. My buddy did that with his 06 and hasnt had any problems since he put that heavy duty 5r100 in his truck that he paid 2500 for.
And if anyone can destroy a tranny this guy can, i mean he put 4 4r100 in his 02 7.3 so he puts them thru the courses of torture.
I didnt have a choice. It was covered under the Ford ESP warranty. Plus, for $2,500, don't you think that would be better put towards a built tranny from one of the well known builders? I don't trust anything in this truck that is stock from Ford anymore. Seems the aftermarket just builds stuff to fix all of Fords weak links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.