EGR question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR question

My truck smokes white when the egr valve is plugged in but when i unplug it theres NO smoke. Does anyone here know what would cause that to happen. I pulled the egr valve out and cleaned it up and the problem is still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 PM

Just spitballing here but, when the egr is plugged in its duty cycle is open and allows eg into the intake. If your egr cooler is blown you should have noticed a lot of gooey moist tar like substance inside the intake when you pulled the egr valve. When its unplugged it technically blocks all the egr flow from entering the intake air flow, thus eliminating the smoke...
Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yep, check your EGR cooler, it may have failed/ruptured.

Park the truck facing down hill or jack up the rear, as long as the nose is lower than the rear. Let motor cool down, then remove EGR valve. Look at valve and inside the intake hole, look for coolant/moisture. If you find it wet inside, the EGR cooler has failed.

Which could also mean that your oil cooler is blocked up. Have you checked your ECT/EOT delta?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:49 PM

Yea thats kind of what i was thinking to but wasnt sure. Just had it replaced around 15,000 miles ago. When i took it out i touch down inside the hole and it was a little sappy but i was thinking it was from the last time it failed. I have to work early all this week so i cant really check it until saturday which sucks because its killing me to know. Im sure its just my immagination but the truck acts like it has more throttle response with the egr unplugged too. I dont have a way to check the ECT/EOT delta? Honestly, im still a newbie to the diesel world so really dont know what that is? If iits blown again, what would do you think should by my next move then?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:20 PM

Roadapple and Lilpooh thank you for helping me and the advice you've given me, its greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Delta means difference. You want to find out what the delta is between ECT (engine coolant temp) and EOT (engine oil temp). If the temp spread is more than 15* apart, then it's a good chance that your oil cooler is blocked.

A blocked oil cooler is one of the main causes for EGR coolers to fail.

Here is some reading material for you.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 PM

Took my truck to the Ford dealership and had them look the truck over and watched him put in on the computer and run a serious of test to find out where the smoking is coming from. Everything on the truck looks great from what they said. They said there are two things that can be causing this truck to smoke when i take off and put in under a load, 1st thing is maybe a turbo seal going out and the 2nd thing is the fact that im running straight pipe. I find that hard to believe that no cat or muffler would cause that but im not a mechanic so i guess i will go by what they are saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.