Good News and Bad News - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
USMC 0311

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good News and Bad News

I havent posted in awhile so I'll give an update. Got my Edge Insight CTS awhile ago and got it installed. With that my ECT was not going over 172* so I knew my thermostat was bad. Finally got around to switching it out today and did a couple other mods while I was in there: Banjo bolts, Blue Spring, and the Zoodad mods. After I finished with all those I did the High Idle mod and the Fog light mod. Lets just say it was a long frustrating day and nothing was going my way. Anyway it's all done now and I just got back from my test drive.

Results: I can feel a small difference in the seat of my pant in the throttle response when I get into it. I'm not sure if thats due to the Banjo bolts or the Zoodad mod but I liked it. As for the thermostat I have been really wanting to get it replaced so I could finally see if my oil cooler was clogging up. Well my worst fears have been confirmed; my ECT EOT delta was between 18-22 at WOT on the highway. So I'm pretty sure I need to do an oil cooler swap with my EGR delete.

I dont have the time to do the oil cooler and EGR delete right now so I was wondering if putting the bad thermostat back in until I can do the swap and delete would save me till I could get it done??? My reasoning behind this question is that the bad thermostat causes the truck to run cooler due to being stuck open and I'm thinking that it being cooler will save the EGR till I can delete it. Now grant it I know its bad for the engine to run that cold but it cant be as bad as a blown head gasket. Any input??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm new to the 6.0 etc, but I thought the deltas were supposed to be measured cruising, not WOT?
Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
USMC 0311

I'm pretty sure I've seen a post or two around here with Fords instructions for finding your delta and they say to get the engine up to operating temp and then get on the highway and do a WOT run to find your true delta. IMO cruising speed will tell you somewhat what your delta is but WOT is the true reading. Im sure others will chime in to confirm this or set me straight.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM

I'm notFordmechanic but I have read on here that to find your deltas get engine up to temp, and then run between 55-65 mph on the flattest road you can find. I'm sure others will chime in on this too.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's cruising with minimal load on the engine. Having said that, you might try again, because I would suspect that your oil cooler might be starting to get clogged, but might not necessitate replacement.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 PM

WOT is recommended when you've got a line hooked up to your cooling system to test pressure for possible leaky HGs.... maybe that's where it popped into your head.

I would agree with Eagle Eye. Hopefully you aren't in immediate need of a replacement
Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
It's cruising with minimal load on the engine. Having said that, you might try again, because I would suspect that your oil cooler might be starting to get clogged, but might not necessitate replacement.

Shawn said it perfectly

Running 60-65 mph with engine fully up to operating temps and DO NOT go WOT
Old 03-07-2012, 01:33 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I never have read the WOT to determine deltas. flat road, truck up to temp, 60 mph
Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
USMC 0311

Ok well I guess I stand corrected. Anyone know if keeping the old thermostat in will keep the EGR alive a little longer to buy me some time?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattc0508 View Post
Ok well I guess I stand corrected. Anyone know if keeping the old thermostat in will keep the EGR alive a little longer to buy me some time?
No, it will not. If the oil cooler is clogging and the flow to the egr cooler decreased that 10* difference in coolant temp isn't going to save you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.