How to replace Injector - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Stroked7.3
How to replace Injector

I need to replace #6 injector, and I cant seem to find a write up for it any where thought I found one at one time. Could some one explain the basics of it at least for me and any odd tools needed. I know take degas bottle out, air intake, ficm and valve cover but then I'm lost. Also #6 is the 3rd cylinder from the front on driver side right? Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 07:56 AM

that is correct 3rd back, your on the right track, what year is your truck?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 AM

Ah my phone didn't show your sig at first, never mind! Gotta pull the oil rail up, you'll see it's obviously in the way, I've never done one without pulling the heads but have been told you don't have to pull the rockers to pull the injector but there's one torx bolt down lower on the injector that hold the clamp that secures the injector down . Loosen that bolt and after releasing the wire harness plug from the head it will slide right out, there's a copper crush washer around the tip of the injector, they usually stay with the injector but not always! Make sure to find it or you will have problems if it's left in the hole!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 AM

I changed the number 5 injector on my 6.0 in the front yard at my house a couple of years ago. I took my time and paid attention and it went like clockwork. You have to remove (if I remember correctly) The coolant degas bottle, the alternator, the turbo, the intake manifold, and the FICM to get to the valve cover. That may be a slightly more involved method but while I was that far into the motor, I did the EGR delete with new up-pipe and I rebuilt the Oil Cooler as preventative maintenance.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 AM

Ya I havent heard that the turbo and intake manifold had to be removed. How does the oil rail come out? Anybody have pics of the inside of the valve cover? What about the stand pipe and dummy plug have to come out before the oil rail?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just did the same injector on my truck last week. To take the oil rail out take all the bolts off and pull it straight up i should not take a lot of force and watch out the oil in there is gonna come out so keep your hands out of the way. Also make sure all the washers (especially the copper one by the tip of the injector) come out with the injector. To get the electrical plug out of the head use a socket thats close to the size of the connector and knock it out. Also torque the bolt that holds the injector to
25 foot pounds.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 AM

srmasterteech has a great serious of 4 vids on youtube of replacing injectors. the manifold, turbo, and alternator can stay in also. take time to clean out the injectors cup and bolt hole with shop air he demonstrates everything great in his video.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 AM

Just watched the videos, does he use carb cleaner or what to clean out the cups with the wire brush? Looks like my project for the weekend.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Take the standpipe out before you pull the oil rail off. It is either a 10mm or 12mm hex depending on whether it is the old or new style standpipe.

You can just clean the bolt hole and injector cup of oil with a Q-tip. The socket to remove the electrical socket from the rocker cover is a 19mm. Single torx for the injector hold down. The drivers side is much easier than the passenger side, you are lucky.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:59 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Injector Install - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Injector replacement - with pictures - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

6.0 Injector swap.. - TheDieselGarage.com

6.0 Injector Installation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.